Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BUTTERMILK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Credit card debt
    In 2000 my Providian card was put over its limit by a late fee. When I talked to the company about this they were very nasty and kept charging my account with late fees (and it was only late once) and now over the limit fees. My point is it would not have been over its limit if they would've worked with me about the late fee. Of course the interest went up to 30%. My monthly payments went so high I couldn't make them. I now owe almost $7000 on a card with a $1800 credit limit. I cut off all contact with the company in 2001 and I no longer receive monthly statements. I mail them $20 a month. About twice a year I will receive a letter from a collection agency telling me to send them the $7000. How can I resolve this fairly? I agree I owe almost $1800 but not $7000.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Legally you probably owe the $7000 because you initially agreed to their interest rates when you opened the charge account. By not making the monthly payments,or only paying $20, your interest starts to compind. Sounds like they sold your dept to a collection company, proably for pennies on the dollar. Since 6 years have past they may not think its worth taking you to court. Ywo things to try. #1 take your chances and see what happens if you do absolutely nothing. #2 Offer the collection company a settlement, maybe your original $1800.
    BUTTERMILK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Thanks for your response. I did offer to pay $1800 once when they said it was up to almost $3000. I actually have one woman I spoke to on tape yelling at me and telling me there is nothing they can do to lower the amount. It was at this time I informed her I had recorded her and told her to contact me through the mail only. I didn't know if I had a legal foot hold with the tape or not. But, I have since lost the tape. Can the collection agency attach my bank account if my wife's name is also on the acoount but her name is not on the Providian account?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Collection agencies can not get into your bank account. They must take you to court and get a judgement againist you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Ex-bf and his credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I need advice. My problem involves an ex-bf and a credit card account. When I met my ex-bf, he didn't have great credit, so I agreed to open up an account to purchase a laptop for him and he would pay for the credit card. The problem is that, we broke up a few months later. He continued to make...

Credit Card debt [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a credit card company (Sears) to garnish your wages? And have access to your bank account? i.e to know when and how much money you deposite in your checking account.

Credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home (trailer) and I pay to park it in a trailer park. I am in debt with credit cards... in two weeks I will be laid off work. Can the credit cards take my trailer? This is considered personal property... trailer is paid for. Thanks, Marge

Credit card debt [ 20 Answers ]

Can a credit card company clam from your house ?

View more questions Search