Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    croseberryrn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 07:16 PM
    Employee hipaa rights violated when personal work history and records lost?
    I have worked at my company (hospital) for 7 years. I left for 9 months then came back and when I came back to work the HR department had to decide how much to pay me based off my years of experience as a nurse. When it came time to give me my salary they said they have no record of me ever working for them and they would have to give me base pay. They also said they lost all my work files with all my documents i.e.. License,certifications, etc. Is this a violation of my privacy having lost all my personal documents? And more importantly the fact that records of an employee of 7 years can just be lost and have no trace of them?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 08:46 PM

No violaton what so ever, unless you can show and prove that they gave the files to someone, that they left them laying where others could read them. ** and this would be just your medical records,

Your work records, and copies of licenses are not covered under hipaa.

They may have burnt it or shreded it and no one else say them.

Or it may be well that they are just lying to you to pay you a lot less. HR would would still have you in the payroll system in 9 months. You are responsible to provide them copies of your liceneses
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2010, 09:13 PM

You could also produce your pay stubs to them. Hopefully you haven't thrown them out either.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 01:16 AM

At the facility I work, you are only give 6 months to return to retain your status. After 6 months, your records are removed to storage and you begin working at minimum pay with minimum benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Were my rights violated under HIPAA? [ 4 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with the flu and reported this to my supervisor. The same day, an agency-wide email was sent out by the COO, telling everyone that I had swine flu and that they should be tested. I was surprised that she specifically named me and disclosed my diagnosis to all employees. I...

My HIPAA rights were violated! What are my options? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently had a breast reduction and have since recovered shakily. The receptionist that works at my surgeons office has always been sweet to me and, of course, has full access to all of my medical information. Recently, however, she was let go. Days after her release she was at a bar that I used...

What do I do when my Hipaa rights have been violated [ 1 Answers ]

I was put in jail in Allegen county in Michigan. A girl I went to high school with worked as a nurse there. I informed the jail that I was H.I.V. positive. Later I found out I wasn't . This girl that worked at the jail told several people that I was H.I.V. positive. What should I do?

Were my HIPAA rights violated? What should I do now? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently went to a new dentist since I had not been to one in more than three years. The reason I went was because I had broken a tooth and now it was abcessed and needed a root canal procedure (per the dentist). The dentist looked at my x-rays and tooth and prescribed me pain medication and...

HIPAA rights violated? [ 24 Answers ]

My employer disclosed two drug test results of mine to local law enforcement. They were negative for drugs by the way. I never gave consent, verbal or signed to do so. In fact they never told my they were going to do this. I learned after the fact. Have my rights been violated?

View more questions Search