Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CHOPPEREMT Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 02:41 PM
    Can I sue a man that broke into my parents house for pain and suffering?
    Someone broke into my parents home by breaking a window. While cleaning up the mess, my husband cut his wrist on the glass. He tore through the tendon and nerve. He is unable to work and has months of therapy to go through. Is there any way to sue the guy that broke into the house?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2010, 02:44 PM

No. He is not the cause of your husband's injury. It would appear that your husband's injury was caused by carelessness or some other factor, not DIRECTLY by the person who broke in.

Aug 25, 2010, 03:56 PM

So there's nothing I can sue him for even though if he wouldn't have broke in, this wouldn't have happened. Would my parents be able to sue him for anything?
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2010, 05:48 PM

No. The injury was due to your husband's negligence. What injuries did your parents suffer as a result of the break in (dollar damages only).
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Aug 26, 2010, 06:52 AM

Well I think the question of whether the break in necessitated the cleanup is arguable, but it is probably moot.

People who break into houses probably don't have any assets to take. You could sue him , but what would you get?

Aug 27, 2010, 04:59 PM
    sideoutshu, so if I wanted to sue him, I could? Could you email me at {email removed} to give me more info?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2010, 06:25 PM

Anyone can sue. The question is whether you can win. And then, if you do win, whether you can collect.

So the first question is do you know who broke in? If you don't then why waste time and money? Now assuming you do know who the burglar is, it is iffy at best whether you would win. Now lets say you do win, do you really think a burglar has assets that you can attach? So now you have spent money for attorneys and invested time with little hope of even recouping what you have spent let alone getting compensation for lost wages and medical bills.

You clearly have not thought this through.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2010, 06:54 PM

The parents can sue for the damage done in the break in, and the cost of repair, they can also sue for the value of the things taken.

But?? So they sue, and even if they win, most criminals who are breaking in are broke, they have nothing, so what are they going to collect even if they win
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 06:55 AM

Again - notice that the break in was to parents' house and OP wants to know if "I" can sue him for anything

No. Assuming parents had homeowners, the damage has been covered.

Hopefully sideoutshu will come back with more info.

Sep 1, 2010, 12:39 PM

Here's the thing. We do know whod broke in, and he does have assets believe it or not. And I have thought it through many many times. Why should we have to pay for his medical bills when the burglar is the reason he has them??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 1, 2010, 12:55 PM

So get an attorney and file suit. Who knows, you may create a precedent.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPEREMT View Post
    heres the thing. we do know whod broke in, and he does have assets believe it or not. and i have thought it through many many times. why should we have to pay for his medical bills when the burglar is the reason he has them???

I already told you why - because the burglary was NOT the cause of the medical bills. Your husband's inattention, negligence and/or experience WERE the cause of the medical bills.

I'm an accident investigator. I've seen this scenario before.

BUT - I suggest - as Scott did - that you consult with an Attorney and come back and let us know what the Attorney says.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 09:52 PM

I doubt you or your father would win. The only way I would forsee anyone winning would be if (for instance) your father was standing by the window and the burglar broke the window and the glass cut your father right then and there and not some hours later while cleaning up the glass. Now that scenerio I see would work. Your scenerio doesn't work. It was carelessness on your father's end that caused his injury and not the result of the burglary.

You could at the time the burglar goes to court ask the DA if they could somehow tack on your father's medical bills for the clean up incident that the burglar caused. That just might work. Ah, you DID file charges against him and had him arrested?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 07:20 AM

Husband, father either way SHE can't sue! And neither can they!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue for pain and suffering in small claim court [ 19 Answers ]

I lost my bank card and someone used it for about $850.00. The bank refused to refund the money and gave me no valid reason. I filed complaints with the BBB and the Comptroller of the Currency. They couldn't do anything about it. I'm about to sue them in Small Claim court. Since I'm very low...

Can you sue for pain and suffering in small claims court, California, for a tooth [ 8 Answers ]

Can I sue for the dental bill PLUS pain and suffering. My tooth was broken out when I was eating olives by a large piece of metal that was in the can. I had to get a crown. Can I sue for the cost of the crown plus an additional amount for pain and suffering? I'm in California.

Small claims in IL for accident-can I sue for pain and suffering and how much? [ 3 Answers ]

I was in an accident almost 2 years ago and got hit head on by a drunk driver. Hurt my wrist and was out of work for 2 months. He refuses to pay for my lost wages and I want them back. I was wondering if I can also sue for pain and suffering and for how much?

How do you determine pain and suffering? [ 16 Answers ]

If you are compiling evidence and coming up with a list of items to be compensated for in a small claims case, how do you put a monetary value on your pain and suffering through the ordeal? I have an injury that warrants surgery to fix. I'm making my claim to the company I am (in essence) suing,...

Pain & Suffering [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked to provide the insurance company with a dollar amount to cover my pain & suffering in order to come to a settlement amount. I am at a complete loss as to what to ask for and was wondering if there was an unspoken average to start with.

View more questions Search