Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goussy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Court Summons for debt collection
    Hello,

Today, I have been served by a court clerk who came to my home and gave me a letter stating that I have 20 days to file a response in court in regards to a credit card debt collection. I really don't know the agency but I am suspecting that one of the credit cards I have must sold the debt to a collection agency.

I really don't know what to do at this moment. Should I go to the court in the coming days right away, or should I send a letter to the court and the attorney office who filed this claim and ask him for a debt validation. When they actually filed this claim against me did they have a proof I owe this debt, or how it works really?

Could someone advice me on how this is done or what should I do? I have never been in this situation before.

Thank you all.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2006, 04:19 PM
    File your notice to Defend with the court, File MOtion to Dismiss, lack of subject matter jurisdiction, Lack of personal Jurisdiction, And Failure to state claim upon which relief may be granted.

THis will give you some time for you to File discovery against the plaintiff to provide you with documentation verifying the validity of the alleged debt.

In your discovery request, demand to original contract that you sign. This is important, they must have it.

Just a few thing you can do. Remember you have the right to due process all the way.

You can Google search the court rules in your state. Just use key words.
    goussy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Thank you Mr. Yet for the responsive reply. Do you have any format for the actions you stated above(e.g. a written format that I can use when I go to the court and file motion to dismiss) or could you please refer me to a website where I can find such information.

Happy Holidays...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Summons to appear in court [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have received a summons to appear in court, this is for an outstanding credit card debt that is around 4 years old. I have tried to find out what the statute of limitations are in Colordo is, but am getting conflicting answers. Please help, and if possible, some examples I can site.

Summons from Collection Agency [ 6 Answers ]

Recently received summons from a collection agency that a lawsuit has been started against me. What is the best way to respond to the court. I am unemployed, have no income or savings. I have not been working due to illness and am waiting for judgement on disability. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Credit card debt summons [ 2 Answers ]

I have credit card debt from four different cards. One is our local credit union (washington state) and I believe they are trying to send me a summons. I was contacted by an ex-partner who said they contacted him with "papers". He said he did not know how to contact me. If they cannot find me...

Summons for old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in court for an old credit card debt (I think my last payment was in 2000 or 2001). The SOL in the state in which I resided at the time has expired. How do I prepare myself for court? Or, does the plaintiff have to prove their case? Any help is appreciated! ...

View more questions Search