Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHAYW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 03:34 PM
    If I am late making payments on my student loan and they threating to garinsh my tax
    If I am lat making payments on my student loan and they threatin to garinsh my paycheck but start back making payments will they garinsh my income tax as well?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 19, 2010, 03:36 PM

Yes
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 20, 2010, 01:24 PM
    The way to avoid that problem is to adjust your withholding so you have to PAY when you file your tax return.

They cannot take your refund if there is NO refund to take.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2010, 01:29 PM

Do the honest thing. Let them take it out of your income tax return.

Sooner or later you have to pay it back. You obtained the loan for furthering your education.

Our neighbors son didn't pay when he was supposed too and the interest on the loan kept adding up. You cannot beat the government.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 20, 2010, 01:50 PM
    I agree that you SHOULD pay the student loan back, and KitKat22 is correct: you will NOT be able to avoid that obligation.

However, you CAN get the loan put into abeyance if you are unable to make any payments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As the co-signer making payments On car loan.What are my rights? [ 0 Answers ]

I co-signed for my ex car 3yrs ago. She left the state w/ the car and is refusing to make the payments,also she is in bankruptcy. I am making the payments what can I do to get the car from her?

Can rent be raised if you are late making payments [ 2 Answers ]

Signed a rental lease in July prorated rent of 850.00 I moved here because I got a divorce and told them up front this year might be diffucult I have two kids and live on my own, they have had different people in the office since then... last few months I have been late on my rent but have always...

F1 student , late tax filing 2008 [ 2 Answers ]

Background: I am an international student on F1 visa in state of ca,I I had filed tax return for 2006 -07 one week before the last date on which I was supposed to get some money from the govt. For some reason , I found the mail back in my mailbox after the deadline apparently it never went to the...

We are co-signers for college age daughter's student loan - tax credit? [ 1 Answers ]

Our daughter goes to school out of state. Part of her tuition is paid through scholarships, part is through federal student loans (through FAFSA) and part is through a bank collegiate loan in her name co-signed by us. She doesn't have any income. Can we claim this on our joint return or does...

Student loan took my tax refund [ 6 Answers ]

My taxes were taken by my student loan company a couple of years ago. I didn't claim any taxes last year. What are the chances that they will take anything this year? The full amount of the loan was about $8,000. The tax amount taken was about $3500. I would only be claiming one child and not...

View more questions Search