Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wolfgangdroven Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 07:06 PM
    Lease Breaking
    I live in Moncton, New Brunswick Canada. I need to relocate cities due to a work promotion. My lease is Year-to-year renewed. Rent is paid monthly. It states that because it is a year-to-year lease I need to give 3 months notice. Is it possible to get out of a lease early because of a work relocation or am I doomed to pay rent in 2 places for 3 months. Work will re-emburse me for duplicate rent, but I will still have to pay it up front.

Wolfgang
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Unless the contract has a condition for work, you are obligated to the lease. You can always ask and sometimes they will work withyou.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 7, 2006, 07:20 PM
    I would imagine that laws in Canada and the US are similar, and for the most part try to take a sensible approach. If you are forced to break your lease early, the landlord must make a good faith effort to re-rent your domicile. If the place is vacant for one month, then you owe for that month. The landlord cannot re-rent your unit on the day that you move out and pocket 3 months extra rent from you. That would be considered "Unjust Enrichment". If you work with your landlord in securing a suitable replacement tenant in a timely manner, the loss to you should reduced. If you are dealing with a stupid or greedy landlord things could get difficult. By this time you should have a fair idea of what type of individual you are dealing with. I wish you the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I lived in Louisiana and had a 1 year lease and he was transferred to Mississippi and I also found a job there. We have only paid 4 months of rent. The lease does not allow sub-letting. The landlord has done nothing to try to rent the place. We have been out about two weeks and we...

Breaking my Lease in WI [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a 6 month lease when I was desperate for an apartment. 4 months later, the other tenants children have broken my bike, the downstairs neighbors are potheads, the landlady is an irresponsible alcoholic. She promised things like that the door would be fixed when we moved in, that she would...

Breaking lease [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Maine and have signed a 1 year lease. My husband and I were able to purchase a home, so obviously we will be moving out. I heard somewhere that once you have fulfilled a 1 year commitment, it doesn't matter if your landlord has you re-sign a lease, you are month to month. I haven't been...

Breaking a Lease [ 3 Answers ]

Two weeks ago I went and put a $75 deposit down on an apartment and signed a lease. The apartment wasn't supposed to be ready until Sept 26th. I got a call on Aug 30th stating the apartment was ready, but the very next day, situations arose that are going to keep me from renting the apartment. I...

View more questions Search