Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKSillyYak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2009, 02:06 PM
    HIPAA Violation by Employer
    We have a "rogue" accounting employee who has made comments about other employees' excessive health costs in front of other employees. Is this a reportable HIPAA violation?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2009, 02:09 PM

Probably not. Unless the employee discussed the nature of the treatment being given, its probably not going run afoul of HIPAA. However, it is a serious breach of business ethics and this employee should be terminated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2009, 02:32 PM

Do you work for a healthcare company ? HIPPA applies to health care providers.

Are they giving details about the actual care, not that iti merely excessive costs.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2009, 03:18 PM

The only way this might be a HIPAA violation is because medical insurance info needs to be kep confidential. So the question becomes how did this employee get the info.
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

May 16, 2009, 11:56 PM

Is it safe to assume that he got this info because he does the accounting? That is a breach of business ethics but a HIPA violation would be if someone talks about the persons care. If for example someone works at a hospital, you cannot even tell someone that a person is in the hospital with very very few exceptions and under extreme circumstances which have to be approved by a super or a manager. You definitely cannot talk about why a patient is being treated and/or what for. Grounds for immediate dismissal. You can let H.R. know what you are hearing but I would try to keep it anonymous. Maybe a letter or something. You don't need someone trying to be vindictive or get you fired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violation? What to do? [ 3 Answers ]

My sister had a recent hospital stay and when she received the bill in the mail they had printed her SSN along with the name and address? Is this a HIPAA violation? Is there anything she should do to protect her credit, or should she make any demands of the hospital? When she called the hospital...

Hipaa violation [ 3 Answers ]

If someone repeates a rumor they heard about someone's medical condition, is this a hipaa violation? And can the person repeating that rumor be sued for slander?

HIPAA Law Regarding Former Employer Releasing Information [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently unemployed. I approached a staffing company which asked me for two supervisory references, which I provided. Upon contacting my former employer to check the references the staffing company told me my ex-supervisor was reluctant to talk to him citing a company policy against giving...

View more questions Search