Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angel_Wings Posts: 105, Reputation: 13

Apr 15, 2009, 05:28 AM
    What happens if a Minor fails to appear in court?
    Minor (17) child was arrested for drinking.
    He showed up for his first court appearance and was given a court appointed attorney.
    He has not yet called or seen his attorney.
    He has moved out of county, and I fear he may be trying to avoid going to court.

Can anyone tell me what happens if he does not show up.

My own thoughts were that he would be charged with something like "failure to appear."
    Then a "bench warrant" would be issued and he would/could be arrested, and will stay in jail until his next hearing.

I am doing my best to encourage him to go to court!

Please help if you can as the info may help to "persuade" him.

Angel
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Wings View Post
    My own thoughts were that he would be charged with something like "failure to appear." Then a "bench warrant" would be issued and he would/could be arrested, and will stay in jail until his next hearing.
    Hello Angel:

Bingo. If that piece of data doesn't make him go to court, nothing will.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 11:35 AM

A bench warrant will be issued for his arrest. The bench warrant does not expire either and can haunt him for years to come. If he somehow evades the police for a few years on this, one day when he goes to get his driver's license renewed (for instance) he will be detained and immediately arrested. You might want to impress him with this information and get him to take care of this now versus down the road.
    Angel_Wings Posts: 105, Reputation: 13

Apr 16, 2009, 03:49 AM
    Thanks to you both.
    I hope knowing that he can/will be arrested if not now, then sometime down the road, will be enough to "inspire" him to go to court and deal with his responsibilities now!
    Angel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minor dating a minor.3 year difference, does it matter? [ 13 Answers ]

OK I turn 16 on April 28th, this girl turns 13 in September, I thought I heard something about a law stating something about it being illegal for someone to date 3 years younger than them. She's just a couple months off,and she is really mature, but I'm worried about her parents being able to...

Minor minor accident [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys,nice to be here again... I just want to ask about my friend's case and I can't give her any opinion because I'm not sure what should I tell her. The story was, she hit a car in front of her on the side street, but it when they check the back of the car, there was no any scratches or dent or...

Windows fails to load [ 6 Answers ]

I recently downloaded an anti virus program that failed to instal properly so I un installed it. Since then every time I click the mouse I get a windows installer pop up telling me it is trying to install the previously uninstalled prog. I have downloaded the program again this time successfully,...

Car power fails while driving [ 2 Answers ]

My 1994 Volkswagen Golf Cabriolet, suddenly loses power when driving or fails to start periodically. On starting the battery and starter seem to work but the car will not start. Most troublesome is the sudden intermittent loss of power when driving, meaning I may be stuck in a lane of traffic,...

View more questions Search