Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmadams1971 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 04:59 AM
    Felony theft First offense
    I have been charged with 5th degree theft by deception when I took $600 from my employer. This is the first time I have EVER been in trouble with the law and the theft was an act of desperation in order to feed my family and pay a bill. I asked for previous help from my employer(wal-mart) for an advance towards my check but they refused. I have 4 daughters and have been married for 9 years. What are the chances of jail time or what might happen in the process?

Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 05:28 AM

You need an Attorney. In my area WalMart most definitely doesn't fool around - they will prosecute to the full extent, particularly when it's employee theft.

You need an Attorney. Now.
    jmadams1971 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 05:42 AM

I have a public defender but I can never get ahold of him. He doesn't return my calls. Is there a chance I can get probation or some programs in lue of jail?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 05:49 AM

I don't know - it depends on the ages of your children, who will care for them. I see a fine (which will make your financial service even worse) and probation. I don't see jail time. I think the punishment will be that this will follow you for the rest of your life and locating employment will be very, very difficult.

The PD will get back to you in his/her own time frame.

In the meantime, don't panic, plan on probation and a fine, when you go to Court be very, very sincerely regretful (which it sounds like you are).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felony probation violation (first offense) [ 11 Answers ]

My boyfriend was arrested vop on a felony charge Friday. It was his first violation. He had smoked marij and told his officer as he was being asked for a urine sample. She did not allow him to pee even though he wanted to. She wrote that he refused his test which isn't really true. He just...

Felony stealing 3rd offense [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend in a legal situation. He was charged with a stealing third offense a class D felony. I being a friend bonded him out with 500 dollars. We haved tried to found affordable council but the truth is I can't afford a lawyer and neither can he. He has a courtdate for march 9 2009 but he...

Second theft 2 offense [ 3 Answers ]

I was cited for shoplifting in 2005 went to court and they gave me house arrest, theft therapy, and a fine. Last week I went to Safeway and was cited for shoplifting under $250 theft 2 and I am to appear in court next week I live in Oregon. I have not had a job in 7 months and I am on medication...

First offense theft under 16 yrs old? [ 3 Answers ]

I got caught stealing over 100 dollars of stuff, was supposed to pay a fine, but didn't. This was over a year ago, and nobody has called me or mailed me telling me to pay the fine. I was under 16 when it happened, and it was my first offense. I am now trying to get a job and am worried they may do...

Second offense but different theft [ 8 Answers ]

My first offense was about 1000 with court cost judge gave me restituion and plus they got the laptop back. Recently at my job for year,I needed another shirt for my job,but forgot to pay for it.it was $9.99.now want to say iwas shoplifting what do you think the judge will do.Since thi is a...

View more questions Search