Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    damarina1960 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Parents passed away left no will.
    My mother and stepfather passed away. My mom was the last to passed away last April/08When they passed away they did not leave a will. There is a property (house) in question. This house is in Puerto Rico and we are 9 children all together... 5 from both parents and 2 from mom and 2 from stepdad. We know the first step to follow will be recognizing the heirs of property and I kind of know what follows. My question is that according to one of my sisters which is kind of investigating the procedures, the person that is working on the papers to identify heirs... told my sister that when he submitted some type of document to investigate if my parents had left a will.. he found out that my mom left a will many years ago. According to them it has my mother's name and social security which I kind of doubt.
    I do not believe my mom left a will because knowing my mom that never save a penny in her life and actually was more of a spender of course in practical stuff... but to make it short... she was not the type to save money. If this is true that this will is real and it was left by mom and of course we are talking when just 4 of us children existed and recognizing that 2 of these 4 are from mom's previous marriage, is it true that if this is a real will and mom left this will for lets say just 2 or even the 4 existing children at that time, is it true that this will have to be share with the other children that came after making that will? I know is a little complicated but I try to explained to best I could since english is my second language. I hope you understand my question and my dilema! Thank you. Oh by the way... my mom live and died in Puerto Rico. I am in United States.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 01:15 PM

Well part of the issue,
    1. the step kids if not adopted will not be heirs, so the kids of "dad" will get nothing since dad died first and normally everything goes to the mom.
    ** unless purto rico has some different laws.

After that, at least in the US where I am at, if the will is that old, they can not "exclude" or merely not mention some, but most wills name all children born or adopted as a standard wording ( at least the ones I see)

So first order of business, you need an attorney in puerto rico to handle this, perhaps all the brothers and sisters can hire one together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant Left leg pain - starting at the middle of the left buttock & goes down leg [ 6 Answers ]

Any ideas what would cause this condition on a grown man? Constant Left leg pain - starting at the middle of the left buttock & goes down leg. Thanks for helping

Left groin & down the left leg pain, Hysterectomy didn't work [ 6 Answers ]

I had fibroids and cysts in my left ovaries. Since I had severe pain in the lower left stomach, groin and all the way down on my left leg. The pain is only prominent when I lie down. I am fine during the day, but when I lie down the pain is intense. It looks like one nerve or something. The Doctor...

Parents died left no will [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed away a year ago and my mother passed away last week they did not leave a will do I have the legal right to go into there home and pack up there personal belongings

Sister left husband in CA and left state with baby [ 1 Answers ]

Ok this is a big mess and long story so for those of you that read it all thanks. My younger sister just moved back in with me with her 9 month old daughter. It started that she met this guy and got pregnant. They were going to get married and then things started getting really bad so she left...

Father passed away, left small piece of property [ 1 Answers ]

When I was 15 my father passed away and left a piece of property in Alaska to me as outlined in the will. How do I get the property transfrred from his name to my name? My uncle pat, my dad's brother, was the executor of the estate. Can he transfer it to me or do I have to go thro probate?...

View more questions Search