Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nina7334 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Car accident, no police report, being avoided by the man who hit us
    Texas.

My husband was on his way from work and got hit by 3 cars. The vehicle who cause the accident did not have his insurance with him , he claimed his wife had all the info. There was no police report. My husband got his name, address, and phone number. My husband has been calling but no one answers. When his wife did answer she said shed call us back with the insurance info but never did. Now this man has blocked both my cell phone and my husbands.I know this because we call and it goes staright to voice mail, we block our number and it rings and we have called from other phones. They are avoiding us. Right now we only have one car that gets us from place to place. Im about to start classes in two weeks and I need my car fixed. We are in a tight budget so I'm afraid if I calim it on my insurance that it will be higher(it is high as it is because of our age). Is there anything we can do to make the guy who hit our vehicle pay? Can I get a lawyer? My damages are around 4000 if not more..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2008, 05:42 PM

You can't afford your insurance rates to go up but you can afford an attorney? If the accident was not your husband's fault then just put in a claim to your insurance carrier and let them go after him. They can find out who us insurer is and get the money from them.

For future reference, you should ALWAYS wait for the police in an accident. Especially if the other driver(s) don't have all their documentation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2008, 06:30 PM

Yes, at this place and time, the other party can claim they know nothing about the accident, I hope you took photos with your cell phone camera or something.

But the minute they did not have a insurance card ( and I don't even trust those) you call the police for major accidents.

Within two weeks, you are not gong to get even your own insurance to pay this now. They will have to contact the other party, and find out he is refusing normally.

So report it, get your car fixed and learn a lesson that people with no insurance lie.
    nina7334 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Well no I can't afford an attorney at this moment, I was askingfor future reference. Just to know if anyone was in this situation what would they be able to do...
    Julia99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 07:09 PM
    I am a lawyer in another jurisdiction. But the simple answer is yes you can sue. It sounds as if he did give you his correct name, you have his address, and his phone number. That is enough to sue. You could start by just having an attorney send a letter to him threatening suit if no response. He probably does not have coverage. If you have uninsured motorist coverage you should probably contact your insurance to make sure it gets paid. If you had over 4k in damage to your vehicle, even if your policy increased it would probably be a lot less than 4k. I have had cases in which the person's rates did not increase for a claim of this nature. Hope that helps answer your question.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nina7334 View Post
    Texas.

My husband was on his way from work and got hit by 3 cars. the vehicle who cause the accident did not have his insurance with him , he claimed his wife had all the info. there was no police report. My husband got his name, address, and phone number. My husband has been calling but no one answers. When his wife did answer she said shed call us back with the insurance info but never did. Now this man has blocked both my cell phone and my husbands.I know this because we call and it goes staright to voice mail, we block our number and it rings and we have called from other phones. They are avoiding us. Right now we only have one car that gets us from place to place. Im about to start classes in two weeks and i need my car fixed. We are in a tight budget so I'm afraid if I calim it on my insurance that it will be higher(it is high as it is because of our age). Is there anything we can do to make the guy who hit our vehicle pay ?? can I get a lawyer? my damages are around 4000 if not more..

If you had collision insurance, file it with your company. Let them fix the car, pay them the deductible, let them fight it out with the other guy's company. Your company - at least in my State - will not pay unless you have Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Insurance. Straight Uninsured Motorist covers only injury. This (obviously) varies State to State.

Let your insurance company fight this battle - that's what you pay them for. And if the other driver changes his story and says your husband was responsible and you file late with your company you are risking them disallowing the claim for late filing. Believe me when I say I see changed - and bizarre - versions of accidents all the time.

I would be interested in the exact circumstances - 3 cars, 1 caused the accident? - because I'm a liability investigator but my advice (above) is how I see this. Did your husband get the info on the third driver - for witness purposes?

You can always go to Small Claims Court in your area but that isn't going to happen tomorrow and I think you need to protect yourself - and get your car fixed.

I wouldn't involve an Attorney if you have insurance - that's what the company is there for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident: no police report, what can I do? [ 5 Answers ]

If I did not file a police report, can I sue them or get anything out of them for the damage even if it is minor?

Car accident no police report [ 7 Answers ]

I was involved in an accident on 12nov. Yes,I was my fault.although,no police report was taken,we did submit info.I was later contacted by the person whom I hit insurance compny stating,the had done an apprasial and it would total over 1300! I do not have 1300.. I have stated that I would like to...

Car accident w/o police report. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm seeking legal advice about a car accident I was involved in. I stopped in the parking lot (there weren't a lot of cars there). The car in front of me was pulling out and backed into me. The damage is not big, but there are some big scratches on my bumper and the front light. The...

Car Accident No Police Report [ 13 Answers ]

Here is my story... back in 01/2006 I was in the middle of a 5 car pile up... anyhow... we didn't call the police to make the report... the guy took my drivers license info and my insurance... which was expired... we'll I let it go... about 1 year later I get a request from the company requesting...

Auto accident with no witness or police report [ 2 Answers ]

I was parking my car at a busy gas station and hit a curb. The guy behind me said that I hit his car, but I said I didn't. None of the other customers witnessed anything, (it was full that day) and the police were not called. Am I liable for his "damages"?

View more questions Search