Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jymini Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 08:31 AM
    HIPPA Violation by Supervisor
    I am a home care nurse and recently returned to work after recovering from an injury. My first assignment required me to lift and carry a patient outside the home for which I would not be covered as it is against policy. I refused and my supervisor told the patient's mother that I would not do it because I was recovering from an inhury. I feel that my HIPPA rights were violated and that this disclosure put me in a situation of being unable to darry our my duties. I am fully recovered and capable of doing the work that is required within the parameters of our resposibility.
    Do I have a civil case for violation of my privacy?

>Moved from Forum Help<
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jymini View Post
    I am a home care nurse and recently returned to work after recovering from an injury. My first assignment required me to lift and carry a patient outside the home for which i would not be covered as it is against policy. I refused and my supervisor told the patient's mother that I would not do it because i was recovering from an inhury. I feel that my HIPPA rights were violated and that this disclosure put me in a situation of being unable to darry our my duties. I am fully recovered and capable of doing the work that is required within the parameters of our resposibility.
    Do I have a civil case for violation of my privacy?

>Moved from Forum Help<

I am not aware that HIPAA - not HIPPA, a common error - has any provisions for civil recovery. The agency which unlawfully releases the information is subject to penalties and fines. If I am incorrect hopefully someone will come along and set me straight.

As far as if you would/could sue - what are your monetary damages (other than possibly terminated as soon as the lawsuit papers are filed)? Could you explain how the statement that a physical injury kept you from lifting and carrying the patient made you unable to carry out your duties as opposed to the injury itself keeping you from those duties?

That will be pivotal.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 09:01 AM

Yes, did you lose your job, is there some loss in income because of this.

You should file a complaint for the supervisor lying and not informing them that it is against policy to do this.
    Tspivey4976 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2013, 07:22 PM
    If my supervisor is discussing my medical records or recent visits to the doctor with coworkers is that a violation of HIPPA?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 9, 2013, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tspivey4976 View Post
    If my supervisor is discussing my medical records or recent visits to the doctor with coworkers is that a violation of HIPPA?
    No. Your supervisor is not regulated by HIPAA. Only your doctor is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Hippa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I recently found out that my sister who works for a physician's office has been accessing my medical records and my husbands at a local hospital here. The hospital has verified this to me and it was confirmed by her practice manager. What should I do in this case? What legal actions can I take?...

HIPPA violation [ 3 Answers ]

I recently told a colleague about my medical condition and asked that he keep the conversation to himself. Several months later I found out that he did not and has told several other people in our work place. Is there any type of violation here?

Hippa violation [ 3 Answers ]

I work at a medical billing office, only 2 people in our office ever have reason to look at charts. I recently looked at my own chart as I see a doctor in a group that we bill for to see if any of my co-workers might be looking at my chart and to my surprise my direct supervisor and 2 co-workers...

Is this a HIPPA violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I was recently hospitalized and disclosed the naturre of the visit to a co-worker in confidence. She then related the info to my boss. The day before I was to report back to work, I received a phone call from the head of HR who told me I had to report myself to the state medical board or else he...

View more questions Search