Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leetee22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Wage garnishment for student loans
    I have filed bankruptcy 3 years ago which my student loan had to stay from 1999, no payment have been made due to deferments and not working conditions. Since then tons of interest and collections fees have accrued and a garnishment has started. Is there anything I can do to fight this or what shall I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2008, 01:16 PM
    No student loans are normally not allowed to discharge in bankruptcy.
    And since you have not paid on it, all the extra frees will keep being added and added.
    StopItUncleSam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 07:45 PM

I have gone to a similar problem. I spent days beggging only to have them verbally abuse me implying I was lazy and hiding money. Most answer the experts give aren't of much help.They are lawyes and want you to hire them and make them rich. THere are laws that allow student loan companies to garnish with out legal action. My suggestion to anyone who reads this is to not take out a student loan EVER Warning big time. Instead take out a private loan from a private company and pay the school out right . That way if something goes wrong and you face hardship you have more wiggle room and time to stop things. But when dealing with uncle Sam I have found out you are screwed!
    But the guarnty agent of the federal government who guaranteed your loan must allow you to "request a hearing for financial hardship". I pleaded for DAYSSSS, but until I found out the " exact wording" they wanted to hear, they keep giving me the run around. Also if they have already started garnishment in the request ( ask the loan company where to fax it to) ask for " extra ordinary circumstances". They will try to discourage you but remember they are gettting a cut. Then they by law must send you a packet of forms to fill but the garnishment will continue . Time is of the essence.They are not your friend they don't care if you have to pimp on the street to pay it. They themselves want their own luxury at any expense to you! If you can browse a cout info web site and see if you can get " wage garnishment- claim for exemption form" wg 006 form in my state of California. I am not sure if it works with admistrative garnishments but anything helps to expediate the process because they will claim it takes months but they just want to torture you for months.
    Most of all proverty stricten victim of this law must ban to together to change this law. Not veryone who attend college ends up financially stable. As a struggling citizen you are more likely to have to pay than the wealthy who cut deals even though they have money and pay far less than what they did before. Good luck and never except know as an answer.
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 07:44 PM

What state or province do you live in?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment SSD backpay for student loans [ 15 Answers ]

I have been approved for SSD or SSI and will be receiving backpay. I will have a payee can my backpay be garnished for student loans? Is there anything I can do ? I will be homeless if this happens. Will they take all of it or can they only take a portion?

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Wage Garnishment In TX [ 1 Answers ]

I have a order for child support that takes 40% of my disposable income. My employer just received two student loan garnishment orders that represent another 40% deduction in my disposable income. When I asked our payroll dept that informed about the deductions, they informed me that they are "only...

Student loan wage garnishment and income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I just received a wage garnishment through my employer for my student loan. I wanted to know if my income taxes are going to be taken too. I am a single parent and need the money. I never received a letter stating that my income takes would be taken but is the student loan company obligated to send...

Wage Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

Can a garnishment be stopped after being started and can a person be garnished by two different attorneys at the same time in Georgia?

View more questions Search