Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    candi82609 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 04:47 PM
    How long can a debt collector attempt to collect a debt?
    I incurred a credit card debt that was turned over for collection in 2000. The debt was incurred in Wyoming but I now live in Colorado. Can anyone tell me what the statute of limitations on a debt are and if it differs from state to state. :eek:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Debt collection statute of limitations listed by state
    It does vary state to state. Also if you make any payment the time starts all over again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 05:48 PM
    First you asked how long can they try and collect, statue of limitation only means they can not sue you in civil court for a judgement.
    But they can try and collect, call, send you letters and the such for the rest of your life or until you pay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt collection attempt 10 years old [ 1 Answers ]

I received a notice from a collection agency for a Wells Fargo bank account debt. I called the collection agency as all I could remember was that I had had a Wells Fargo account approx. 10-12 years ago, but know nothing of a debt owed to them. They called Wells Fargo while I was on the line, and...

Bill Collector trying to collect Corporate debt [ 2 Answers ]

Almost 8 years ago, I owned a restaurant with my husband. It was incorporated. When we divorced, I left and he kept the business. Several years later, it went out of business. At that time, we had a contract with a credit card machine company. It was a four year contract, where they would...

Can a debt collector collect on a debt charged off with a zero balance? [ 3 Answers ]

Since I have been served papers for lawsuit by Capital ONe. Someone from Elite Recovery services, Inc has sent a letter to my husband saying "advised this account has been identified by our legal Department as an account to be forwarded toan attorney." This was seen on my husbands credit report...

Debt collector [ 13 Answers ]

What do you do about a debt collector who completely ignores the statute of limitations for NY? I keep on getting a call from "vital recovery services" trying to collect on a Discover card I had in college. I explain it was 8-9 years ago and way past the statute of limitations. They lie to me...

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

View more questions Search