Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lavernekelley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Harassing Neighbor
    I have a friend named Mae and Jasper who live in Capitol Heights, MD. They have a neighbor who lives next door to them who has been calling the police, ambulance, fire department or whoever on them for the past 18 months. They have been down to the courts but no one is helping them. The court have had this woman examined and she is crazy and on crack cocaine. Mae is 58 and Jasper is 66 years old. The lady is in her 30's who keeping calling the police and making false reports. Please help these people some how. It has gone on for too long. They have even called the mayor and everyone that they can think of but this women continues to call the police three times a week and all hours of the night. Mae can't take it any longer. These people are driving her crazy. Can anyone help?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2008, 07:33 AM
    And the police etc. continue to show up in response to these calls? Most places have laws against filing false police reports, fire alarms etc. Someone needs to find out why those laws aren't being enforced. They should get a restraining order against this woman.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 07:44 AM
    The authorities could go after the woman for filing the false reports. They may choose not to do so because of the expense involved with the legal action as well as costs that would be involved with her being jailed for her actions. It may be that the system has decided it is due to her mental condition, and therefore don't want to get involved.

I would also check into having your friends contact the police and other agencies about the false reports from the woman, and asking if those agencies are willing to go after the woman for filing the false reports that are some form of harassment to your friends.

If no one is willing to help, they should consider going to some town council meetings, or local prosecutor's office, and voicing their concerns about the tax payer expense, harassment, etc. that this situation is causing... and asking for something to be done.
    lavernekelley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 07:48 AM
    They have tried all of this but it continues to happen. If someone gets her then whose fault will it be. No one will help these people.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2008, 07:55 AM
    I find it hard to believe that no one is helping with this. If what you say is true, this person is costing the town money, besides breaking the law. What do the police say? If the court says she's crazy, then why wasn't she committed? There has to be more to this.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Taking any action against the woman other than through legal channels would be illegal, and the person doing it would be responsible. Not a good idea.

Have the authorities offered to do anything? Or did they say, they would not help?

Have your friends asked why the authorities have not taken any legal actions against the woman for filing the false reports?

They should look into hiring an attorney that will help them deal with the harassments and visits from the police and fire department at those hours. Writing a letter to their local newspaper asking for assistance with false reports and aggrivation might also be an option, but they'd have to be careful not to say anything that might be a false accusation against the neighbor... and that also might make a big public spectacle out of the entire situation.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Phone calls traditionally fall on deaf ears. Have them write letters and send them certified return receipt to the mayor, chief of police, fire chief, and ambulance companies. I guarantee if they present their concerns on PAPER they will not be ignored. Try that before you say that no one is not doing anything to help these people.

If push comes to shove and these people are tired of the abuse, they should move. End of story.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Sue them in civil court for the stress and problems it is causing.

And if the polce are not doing their job, get an attorney to push criminal charges against them.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lavernekelley
    They have tried all of this but it continues to happen. If someone gets her then whose fault will it be. No one will help these people.

The "if someone gets her whose fault will it be" statement could very well land everyone but the person making the complaints in jail.

Find it difficult to believe the situation is exactly as you say and no one is doing anything to help. Get an Attorney to step in... and lay off the threats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop a neighbor from harassing my family [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all, Forgive me , first time using the site I have an Issue with a neighbor harassing me and my family, we live in a townhouse/condo and we share a porch which is considered a common area unfortunately Well this neighbor and his friends and family all hangout there smoking and...

What can I do to stop my neighbor from harassing us? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I am a new member and I hope someone can help me with my problem! I live in the South Bay, part of Los Angeles County. I have a "neighbor" (and I use that term loosely) who has been harassing us every since we moved in 3 years ago. She has turned it into a battle over...

Former boss harassing me [ 4 Answers ]

I was terminated on 01/29/2007 and today on 03/24/2007 I got a certified letter from my former employer demanding that I pay $464.00 for a charge on a company credit card that I did not transact. They said if I don't pay it by 04/20/07 they will file legal charges against me. This is in the state...

Harassing Neighbor [ 12 Answers ]

We moved into our house 7 months ago and our neighbor has called several times to complain about various things. The latest phone call was in regards to my husband smoking a brisket for MY birthday party! She claims that the smoke hovers in her back yard and she and her husband are not able to...

Neighbor boy harassing my daughter [ 7 Answers ]

My neighbor is 15 years old, and his mouth is atrocious. He calls my 12 year old daughter the filthiest names, which embarrass her, since he does this when she is with her girlfriends. His parents make him apologize, but then it happens again and again. This has been going on for 4 years. Since...

View more questions Search