Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spaceworld Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Student loan garnishment law
    How much of a persons social security check can be taken to satisfy defaulted student loans.
    I have read that the first $9000.00 is exempt and I have heard it is not. I have heard the garnishment is 10% and I have heard 15%. I would like to know the truth and is the percentage which is garnished based on the gross or net social security payment. Thank you.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 09:22 AM
    Here is a link that should answer most of your questions.

Pay Student Loans or Lose Social Security Pay

Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loan garnishment of Social security Benefits [ 3 Answers ]

Previously the first $750 of monthly Social Security retirement benefits was exempt from levy by the I.R.S. A recent law has overturned that and your Social Security benefits can be garnished for 15% of the amount, regardless of the amount you receive. Does the $750 exemption still apply to...

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

Student loan wage garnishment and income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I just received a wage garnishment through my employer for my student loan. I wanted to know if my income taxes are going to be taken too. I am a single parent and need the money. I never received a letter stating that my income takes would be taken but is the student loan company obligated to send...

Old Student Loan [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend who is a Viet Nam Veteran. He was drafted while he was in college. When he went into the military he had about $5,000 in student loans. He was in the military for about six years. Got out and went to work. About 6 years ago he went to buy a car and found out that with interest he...

Student Loan: Garnishment without judgment? [ 3 Answers ]

Since credit cards can't garnish wages without a judgment , can a student loan do it then ?:confused:

View more questions Search