Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pappo1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 01:42 PM
    Verbal Agreement- Binding or No?
    I am in Ohio.
    I have a verbal agreement with someone. The agreement was that he would purchase some software and equipment for me, and that I would pay him back with a percentage of the proceeds of the small business I was starting.
    He became angry with me and now wants me to give him back his equipment. If I give this stuff back to him, I cannot work. If I was in a position to purchase the equipment from him, I would have purchased it myself.
    I have already made some payments.
    I guess my question is- can he go back on his word and demand that I give him the equipment and software back, or can I hold him to his original agreement?
    This deal is not in writing.
    Is possession really 9/10ths of the law?
    How could he prove it was not a gift?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 01:48 PM
    Is this deal in writing?

If not, its going to be very hard for you.

So, I will assume this deal is not in writing (big mistake).

Keep the property, continue to use it and attempt to get financing to pay him off or buy your own. He will have to take you to court to get his property back.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Verbal
    First what nation are you in, US, Libia, Mexico, the laws of different nations differ.

In the US most courts will confirm that a verbal contract is binding in many areas. ( some areas like home sales, car sales and the such written contracts are sometimes required)

So even in the US it would depend on where ( what state)

But yes in general this agreement should be binding, with the understanding of course that a normal period for the exectution of the contract be made, normally less than a year. ( gives you a year to pay it back)

Now of course a verbal contact is just that, your word against his, unless there are witnesses.

He can try and sue you in court for the value of the goods, if he takes it back you can try and sue him for the value of the sales you lost.
    In general depending on the value of the goods, it can be done in small claims court.

So in gereral first I advice you to take to an attorney, ( I am not regestered with the BAR and I do not have a legal practice, I only give an opinon based on past experience and years of answering questions on sites like this and hearing what happened to others)

But send him a registered letter outlining the verbal contract, and an estimated repayment plan. Perhaps you can get him to agree to a formal repayment schedule. In this way you re-inforce the agreement.
    After that it is all in his ball park, if he wants the equipment back he will have to sue you in court, so the next step will be his.

Again, opinion. Best bet, talk to local attorney
    valdez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 08:52 AM

My daughter was estranged from her husband. She moved out of the house.She died intestate and has no divorce papers. She had told her cousins that she wanted to give the mother the insurance monies. Is the husband still entitled to his share accoding to the intestate law
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by valdez View Post
    My daughter was estranged from her husband. She moved out of the house.She died intestate and has no divorce papers. She had told her cousins that she wanted to give the mother the insurance monies. Is the husband still entitled to his share accoding to the intestate law
    This post belongs in Valdez' other thread.

What she told her cousins has no bearing on the matter. Is this life insurance you are asking about? If so, and if he is named as the beneficiary, he gets the money. Otherwise it becomes part of her intestate estate.
    amandajayne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2011, 06:34 PM
    A friend agreed to sell me 5 acres of land for $80,000 if I would lend him some money. I did and I also paid him the $80,000, I now believe that he does not want to fulfill his part of the bargain as he has offered to give me my $80,000 back. Can I sue him for the value of the five acres if he is not willing to subdivide the land and keep to the agreement.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amandajayne View Post
    A friend agreed to sell me 5 acres of land for $80,000 if I would lend him some money. I did and I also paid him the $80,000, I now believe that he does not want to fulfill his part of the bargain as he has offered to give me my $80,000 back. Can I sue him for the value of the five acres if he is not willing to subdivide the land and keep to the agreement.
    This post belongs in a separate thread.

Someone who pays $80,000 without anything in writing belongs in a mental institution.

In most states the "Statute of Frauds" would bar recovery, or at least prevent you from getting the land.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend refuse to repay the loan "verbal agreement" [ 13 Answers ]

I loaned a friend for $500 having an verbal agreement that she will return the money in few weeks. I helped her as she had won a lawsuit against her lanlord of $4000. Now after 3months, she is not responding my emails, disconnecting my phones. Scaring me that she will make harrasement charges...

Spousal Verbal Abuse [ 12 Answers ]

I am married to a man who goes ballistic if he is even asked a simple question. He throws things,breaks things,he stomps on things, all of them mine.He yells and screams at me. He calls me names. He does not treat anyone else like this.Only his wife.He says I slandered him because I made a...

Loan Verbal Agreement [ 6 Answers ]

I got a loan for a so called friend/ex roommate for about $2,000 under my name because she didn't have the credit. It was a verbal agreement and nothing in writing. This loan comes/use to out of my account monthly and she would pay me cash on time and/or until she got money to pay it all of or her...

NEED HELP --Lease agreement [ 3 Answers ]

On April 18 I filled out an application for an apartment for June 1 and gave a $649 deposit to be held for last month rent. The next day they called and let me know I got the apartment. Since then I got back together with my girlfrend and moved back with her. I contacted the apartment company on...

Lease agreement [ 1 Answers ]

I just Received a notice from my landlord that he going to up the Rent in June, Ive been living here since the late 80's. Twards the end of the notice, he writes, "New Month to Month Lease Required". And I'm not sure what's meant by that and this guy is kind of a slickster... Can anyone Help?...

View more questions Search