Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    basiabrels Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Collection agency
    I had a collection agency call me and told me that they would refuse my $15.00 payment cause they wanted $50.00, they found out that I own my house and that was all she wanted to know. I did send her a check for $15.oo can they still put a lean against my house even thu I am sending payments?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Yes. They are not required to accept any payment plan you offer. They can accept payments and still proceed with legal action unless there is a written agreement in place.

They MAY be able to place a lien on your home but that is not likely. Most areas exempt a personal residence from collection for unsecured debt. Even if they can get a lien, that just means the lien has to be satisified before you can sell, they can't force a sale.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 04:33 PM
    An unsecured creditor can sue you and obtain a judgement; the judgement is a lien against your property, real and personal, within the state in which you reside. You might write a letter to the creditor and include your check in the amount of $15, and state that you will pay $15 each month on the same date of each month until the balance is paid; if it is accepted, you may have entered into a new agreement for payment of the debt. One issue is the age of the debt and how close it may be to the statute of limitations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

I had a collection agency contact me about a debt by letter, when I called to ask about making payments they demanded I pay the full amount. When I told them I could not pay all of the debt at one time they pressured me into giving a post dated check. When I saw I was not going to have the money in...

Collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

I have an outstanding debt, after losing a job, I tried to make payment arrangements with them, but they said if I didn't pay half today and half in a month they would not make any arrangements with me. Can they do that? They said it would be a charge off. I have asked for things in writing,...

Collection Agency [ 16 Answers ]

I am in Alberta, Canada and my question is: Can a collection agency legally come after you if the alleged amount owing has never been disclosed to you, neither orally or on paper by the person who put the account with the collection agency? I have never received a bill or invoice from this...

Collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

Can a collection agency add interest to my debt in New York State?

View more questions Search