Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bertis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Bench warrant statute of limitation?
    A bench warrant was issued for a man 22 years ago... and the defendant left to europe... he got married there and grew a family... 22 years later, after speaking to the canadian embassy in his country he was told that his record would be exsponged after 20 years... He decided, at that point, to return to canada... he came as a regular visitor on vacation and was allowed into the country with no issue... 2 months later he came through immigration as to stay for 6 months and possibly move back... at the airport however immigration stopped him because of the bench warrant(which is for a serious crime, not murder however)...
    Is there such a thing as a statute of limitations in this sort of case?:confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bertis
    is there such a thing as a statute of limitations in this sort of case?:confused:
    Hello bertis:

No.

The statute of limitations runs from the time a crime is discovered until the time someone is charged. This man was charged. If he fled, the warrant that resulted lasts forever.

He shouldn't have gotten his legal advice from a bureaucrat.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 07:17 AM
    His record of convictions could have been explunged, so had he went to court and been senenced, it would have been. But a warrant is good forever. So he misunderstood what was being said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you fly with a bench warrant? [ 24 Answers ]

Ok, So I have a bench warrant because the letter I got for a court date was misprinted and differed from what the actual court date was, no big deal, but I need to fly this Sunday and will not be able to clear it before than. The original charge was a misdemeanor, and I am not flying from the same...

Bench Warrant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that was sent to prison for 5 years for unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. He was offered 2 years but decided to go for the jury trial. After the trial he was convicted to 5 years. (He had a terrible court appointed attorney that did absolutely nothing to help him.) He...

Bench Warrant! [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend got a DUI. He did not show to the mandated program he was to attend and failed to appear at the last court date. If he were to show up at the court house, would he be arrested on site??

Bench Warrant Statute of Limitations (CA) [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, everyone: This is my first post to this site. My close friend has a criminal past and has been in jail many times for various things. He is a former drug addict and has been clean and crime-less for over 5 years. Recently, he received a moving violation ticket in Yolo County. Through...

View more questions Search