Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SarahPetersen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 06:15 PM
    How do we give our daughter our last name now that we're married?
    My husb and I we're not married when I gave birth to our daughter and he was still awaiting his divorce so we could not give our daughter his last name. Now that we are married we want her to have our family name not my madien name , we need to know all the steps to take in order to change her last name leagaly and on her birt certifacte.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 07:11 PM
    I'm not sure if you will be able to change the birth certificate, because that is the name she was given at birth... but I may be wrong.

The rest you just do the same as when you change your name. You will need to file for a new social security card, present her birth certificate with you and the father listed, and also bring your marriage certificate. That will get her name changed legally... but just like you don't have your birth certificate changed when you get married, I don't think you will be able to get her birth certificate changed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want To Give My Daughter My Married Name! [ 8 Answers ]

I Had A Child With A Man About Ten Years Ago. At Birth I Gave Her My Last Name. At This Time On Her Birth Cert. In The Place Where The Fathers Name Goes Here Is, "-----------" In The Space. This Just Means That There Is No Father Named. I Would Like To Change Her Last Name From My Maiden Name...

I'm about to get married and my fiancŽe wants to adopt my daughter. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm about to get married in a few months and I was wondering what I have to do to have my daughter adopted by my fiancée. her biological father has no rights to her and has no contact with us. Do I have to try to contact him and ask him for permission? Or can we just file paperwork with the courts?...

Claiming married daughter as a deduction [ 3 Answers ]

My 21 year old daughter finished college in May of 2006, moved back home and got a full time job. She paid no rent or other and we continued to pay all of her expenses. She got married on December 30th. Can I still claim her as a dependent given that I paid all of her expenses (including...

View more questions Search