Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billupst Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Inherited Tax on Property left by my Father
    I am in the process of selling my home that I inherited from my father. The sale proce is 300,000. Do I have to pay any taxes for my property. The property in located in Las Vegas, NV.

Tracy
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Hello Tracy:

If the house is worth more than it was when you inherited it, I'll bet you do. To make certain, however, I would visit a CPA.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Your tax basis is the apparaised value at the time your father died. If it was less than 300K, then there is tax due.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 03:31 PM
    You may have to pay an inheritance tax. Also I would think that you'd have to pay a pro-rated tax for the property covering the period from when it officially became your property until the time of sale. Lastly there's the issue of capital gains as this is obviously not your primary residence. Check with an accountant and/or attorney to be sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

My brother and I inherited my grandmothers home in California in 1996. My brother has been living in the home since then. We both have equal 50/50 ownership in this property. The house was long ago paid for and there is no mortgage. My brother has now obtained a mortgage for half of the current...

How much tax do we pay for house/property inherited? [ 1 Answers ]

so I'm not sure how all these taxes work, but my mom was asking me if she put in her will to give one of us the house/property, how much tax do we pay or she pay? She also mentioned that there are some legal forms we have to sign for that too and that there are several types, which one would be...

Tax on Inherited property? [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited a home from my mother. The home was sold six months from the time of her death, and no improvements were made on the home. Do I have to pay capital gains tax?

Property taxes on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

When daughter inherits home from parent and moves into the home, is there an adjustment to the property tax base in California? Currently taxes are extremely low but house has increased in value since purchase 40 years ago. House is held by trust.

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search