Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweet_n_lovly Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2005, 07:42 PM
    Sick puppy has Parvo... Questions...
    Well my poor doggy for sure has Parvo and is in the hospital.

I got the pet shop I bought him at to treat him. Apparently they are scared of the outbreak (and they didn't have him adequately vaccinated for a 12 week old puppy!)

They were going to put him to sleep and refund my $250 for him and $85 for his vet visit/Parvo test. I guess they took pity on my quite pregnant self bawling that I don't want him to die if he can be fixed.

After much debate on their part the owner said she was VERY sorry and really freaked out because they have up to 20+ dogs that are possibly exposed. She agreed to put him in the nearby vet hospital that they deal with and have him treated. :) The vet said since I caught it right away that he has at least an 80% chance of full recovery. He will most likely be there 5+ days. The estimate for care is $700 until Monday. He has to keep a meal down for I think 4 hours to be allowed to come home.

My Questions are:
    1)Has anyone had a pet with parvo make it? How old were they?

2)Is he likely to pick it back up in the house? I read to sterilize items like his crate and feeding dishes with bleach/water solution and rinse well. What about othre things?

Thanks for ANY help or thoughts.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2005, 08:36 PM
    I haven't, but some of my friends went through that wringer a few years ago. They had 2 puppies. The one was maybe 3 months old and made it, the other didn't. I don't remember many details.

Actually you can relax on the reinfection. If it survives, like many other things, it will now be immune to parvo. You will need to be very careful about any other young puppies that might visit. The virus can linger 6 months. Plain old bleach is the only effective thing to kill it. Outside areas where your puppy relieved its self would need to be sterilized too.

For more about parvo, see http://www.pressenter.com/~dvmvis/canparvo.htm

I hope you are able to post good news on the puppy soon.
    sweet_n_lovly Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2005, 08:50 PM
    Thank you
    Thank you!

I read on another site that reinfection is possible and I have to protect him from his own feces for at least a month while it clears out of his body (like scoop it immediately)

Yay! Also they said my other dogs (1yr and 2 yrs) need new boosters. So LOTS of money to spend yet.

I hope he will pull through. He made it 3 days and the vet said that is very good for his age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dachshund puppy with Parvo [ 7 Answers ]

:( :( :( my friend just bought a new miniature dachshund puppy Saturday, and found out early Wednesday morning the puppy has Parvo. She hadn't eaten since sometime early afternoon Tuesday, so at the vet they pumped her full of nutrients and all that jazz. They gave her two options: put her on...

My new puppy is sick! HELP [ 17 Answers ]

Well I just got a new puppy about a week ago and he is about 4weeks old! And he started sneezing and vomiting and won't keep anything down!! And I don't have the money to take him to the animal hospital! SO I was wondering if anyone knew what I could do at home to help my puppy!! PLEASE HELP

Very sick puppy [ 4 Answers ]

My puppy is 2 months old and he has roundworms. I gave him deworming pills and now he won't eat at all. He didn't eat for a full day and now going on another day. He throws up at least every hour but he is still drinking lots of water. He is pooping out blood and a little bit of water sometimes. He...

Parvo Puppy [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I recently bought a Shihtza-poo puppy from a rescue on 21 Apr 06. The rescue stated ,"Animals that go thru this rescue are spay/neutered, brought up to date on their vaccinations, checked for heartworms and parasites, and leave to go to their new homes after our vet tells us they are in...

Parvo Puppy [ 9 Answers ]

My Mom purchased a Yorkie-Poo puppy on Friday April 7th, from a local Breeder. She took him to the vet Monday the 10th and he was given a Clean bill of health, although the Vet was not pleased with the Paperwork provided by the breeder (regarding shots given). On Wed. April 12th, my Mom...

View more questions Search