Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guywarrior Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 05:17 PM
    HIPAA Violations with Child's Therapist
    My wife's divorce attorney had a meeting with my kid's therapist to obtain information to be used in custody/visitation dispute - this was done without my knowledge or consent - is there a violation of HIPAA?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 05:20 PM

No, I see no violation. You and your wife have equal rights at this point where your "kid" is concerned. She must have signed the consent because the "kid" is a minor.

I'm surprised that your Attorney didn't do the same thing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 06:21 PM

No, the wife, unless there is a custody order taking away her rights to know the medical condition.

I see no violaton at all
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 2, 2009, 06:18 AM
    As long as your wife signed the consent for release of information, as has been said above, there is no violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violations [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a violation of hipaa, if I take a picture of a patient that has been discharged?

HIPAA Violations [ 1 Answers ]

An owner of a housing oppurtunity is also a peditrician. He went into medical records to determine who would be the best tenant for his property. He was not a doctor for me or my unborn child nor did he have permission to access my medical records. Is this a violation of HIPAA?

Hipaa Violations [ 1 Answers ]

How do I report a Hipaa violation?

HIPAA Violations [ 2 Answers ]

Should all complaints regarding HIPAA violations be in writing? If you write a patients name on a whiteboard ,is that a HIPAA violation? How should you respond to a caller requesting information about a patient that does not want information released?

Hipaa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

The owner/boss of the company I was working for asked me question concering my doctors appointment. She got angry and basically demanded me to tell whether it was for medical research because she had heard it through the grapevine. I lied and told her it was not for that. She demanded me to tell...

View more questions Search