Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buffy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 11:15 AM
    HIPAA violation
    I told my boss I had a medical appointment three days in advance.

My boss called me on the day of my appointment and asked me if my appointment was for a pap smear! I felt very violated and could not even look my boss in the face after.
    What can I do about this?:confused:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:33 PM

It is not a violation
    It is just rude behavior on his part.
    All you can really do is find a way to tell him that you found it humiliating.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2009, 02:41 PM

First it would help things if you tried reading instructions. This was moved from the Introductions forum which is clearly marked as NOT the place to ask questions.

No this is NOT a HIPAA violation. If you had searched around either this site or the ofifical HIPAA site you would have found that a violation occurs when a medical caregiver provides treatment and/or diagnosis information about a patient to a 3rd party without permission.

Now if your boss called your doctor and asked what the appt was about and someone in the doctor's office told him, THAT would be a violation.

The only thing your boss violated was good manners. My response to him would have been; "I'm sorry but that what my appt is for is a personal matter between my doctor and myself. It really is incredibly rude for you to ask."

You can still go to him and explain that you feel he way overstepped the bounds of an employee/employer relationship by asking what the appt was about, let alone asking if it was specifically for a PAP smear.

Of course, you might just start looking for a new job and tell him why you are leaving when you resign.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Violation of HIPAA? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-spouse has a physical custody of my daughter. We both have legal custody. My daughter is under my health care plan. Recently, my ex-spouse submitted a claim payment for our daughter. For the claim, insurance company sent a check to me. In the past, I would write a check to my ex-spouse. For...

Is this a hipaa violation [ 1 Answers ]

I work for an office that has patient files on desks and the hipaa sign in sheets out for anyone to see. The doctor doesn't seem to think this is a problem and when I bring it to her attention she bites my head off. This is very upsetting to me, am I wrong?

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently fired from my job for violating HIPAA for allegedly leaving a door open to a shed that contains charts of present and former patients. No charts are known to have been taken. I insist that I locked it, but that is not the point. They had no proof that I did not lock it and the fact...

HIPAA Violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a federal lawsuit against my employer for discrimination in which I am currently awaiting the summary judgement. Several weeks ago I got hurt not at my place of work but while I was at home. My doctor originally informed me that I could not return to work, and that he would not...

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to have an insurance claim from a motorcyle wreck last summer taken care of by my insurance company. I was asked to send in a copy of the letter of denial from the auto insurance company so they could proceed with the claim. I sent in the letter, and received a call...

View more questions Search