Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Smiley5 Posts: 16, Reputation: 6

Oct 29, 2007, 03:46 PM
    HIPAA---PHI disclosure
    We have a payment dispute with our provider which has been ongoing and unresolved. I have been working the issue with the insurance plan. My situation is this-- The provider left a message with the person who answers phones at my husband's work that we "owe them money," when I called the provider to find out what was going on I then asked the person to tell me what address is on file for us (so she could send me a copy of something); she promptly read our current address off to me. I provided no identifying information other than "I am John Doe's wife, Jane." Two questions: 1) can the provider tell an employer or otherwise non-authorized person that we owe them money (in their eyes) and 2) can the provider disclose an address to an un-verified person? Should I report these to HHS? I am really upset that perhaps this provider is sharing more than my address with people. Any help would be appreciated!!
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Nov 5, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Well, financial info is not a HIPAA violation. HIPAA concerns medical info and even if it's a medical bill, that technically has no bearing under those laws.

Providers cannot tell anyone what you owe besides a collection agency. They have no reason and no rights to tell your employeer that information. Though, if they did it may be hard to prove and you can't account for rules (even if they have a company policy in place, you'll always get a bad apple of an employee).

I can't really help you with much more. Honestly, in your position I would call management at your provider and share your concerns. You can simply state that you realize there are on-going issues, but you would like to be assured that you have their confidentiality. (consider tape-recording any conversations or putting it in writing)
    Smiley5 Posts: 16, Reputation: 6

Nov 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Comment on LearningAsIGo's post
    Thank you for your insight!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Full disclosure [ 8 Answers ]

Okay I have the husband who has cheated for past 7 years. He insists that she not only was NOTHING to him but that he broke it off with her. I just found a journal that he was keeping that shows that he obsessively kept track of when he called her when she called him, his suspicion of HER and his...

Home disclosure [ 5 Answers ]

When I sell my home am required to disclose to the buyer that I didn't have permits for my addition or is it a don't ask don't tell kind of policy? Thanks

Full disclosure [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, I am the wife of the 7 year cheater. When confronted he said that she was NOTHING to him and that he had broke things off with her about 2 months ago. I recently found journal entries in his handwriting that chronicles his obsession with their phone calls, what she said, what he said, the...

Disclosure statement [ 1 Answers ]

How long can a seller be liable for misrepresenting on the disclosure statement. I've purchased a house in Texas about two years ago and I believe the seller lied about a few things.

View more questions Search