How do I legally evict a person who does not pay rent?

Asked Jul 14, 2011, 09:24 PM 4 Answers
    How do I legally evict a person who does not pay rent from my home?

Last edited by Assistant; Jul 19, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
    LisaB4657's Avatar
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,657, Reputation: 533

#2

Jul 14, 2011, 09:59 PM

If they have been living there long enough to establish residency (receiving mail, using your address as their own, etc.) then you have to treat them as a tenant even though they don't pay rent.

The first step is to give them a written notice that their tenancy is terminated and they must move out with xx days. The number of days depends on the law in your state. However I believe that 30 days will be sufficient in all states. (California requires 60 days notice if they've been living there for more than a year.)

If they haven't moved out by the date in the notice then you have to file a lawsuit for eviction and appear in court on the trial date. When the judge grants you a judgment for eviction then you have to make arrangements with the sheriff or constable to have the eviction performed.

Under no circumstances are you allowed to change the locks yourself. That is an illegal eviction and you would be subject to damages.

If you let us know your location we can look up the specific time for the termination notice.
    issarmay's Avatar
    issarmay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#3

May 18, 2012, 08:32 PM
    Can the notice be written in letter form?
    LisaB4657's Avatar
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,657, Reputation: 533

#4

May 18, 2012, 08:51 PM

Quote Originally Posted by issarmay View Post
    Yes. There is no specific required form. It just has to say the necessary information.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 61,894, Reputation: 5755
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

#5

May 19, 2012, 06:09 AM

To <insert name>

This is to give you notice that I am terminating your residency at <insert address> as of <insert date>. Please vacate the premises by that date. If you do not vacate, I will be forced to go to court for an eviction order.

How do I evict a person from my home who lives here rent free and has no lease? [ 3 Answers ]

You have to go through with a formal eviction since he is considered a resident. You have to give him a written notice that his tenancy is terminated and he must vacate within 30 days. If he hasn't left after the 30 days is up then you have to file a lawsuit for eviction.

How to legally evict a person living in my house,never paying rent [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina and I have had a "friend" living with me for about one year and three months. He moved in originally to "just get on his feet", since that time he hasn't done anything around the house, he doesn't pay rent and has since lost his job. Although I hope this doesn't come to a...

How to evict a person that does not pay rent [ 0 Answers ]

My grandmother let her 60 year son move in to her house because he and his wife were separated. He's now live there for 2 years on and off. I now own the property. Out of repect for my grandmother I let him stay and she has now past away. We agreed that no one take anything out of the house...

Can I evict original tenant if person not on lease paying rent? [ 4 Answers ]

In Texas, I've had a tenant for almost 2 years and she leased the home because she and husband were separating. I found out later that they decided to reconcile, however she never added him to lease. Recently (past 3 months) the rent has been late and in tracking her down ended up finding out...