Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helplesschick Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Strange smell around water heater
    There is a strange sewer-like smell surrounding the upstairs hot water heater in my house that is making me sick. The smell comes and goes and can be very strong and overwhelming. One plumber smelled it, but didn't know what caused it or what to do about it. I would appreciate any thoughts on what causes it and what I can do to get rid of it. The water itself is fine, but the air around the water heater is terrible.

Thank you!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 10, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Shut the power off to the heater and open up the inspection plates. Check for moisture and/or mold or fungus in the insulation. Did the plumber connect the heater pan drain to a drain line when he installed it? Regards, tom

Feb 12, 2007, 06:44 PM
    I don't know if this is relevant, but: The water heater is in a small 2nd floor closet. I can only see part of the water heater. Also, the water heater is an older model that was installed in 1995.

How do I open the inspection plates? I read and reread the installation manual that came with the water heater. The diagram showed where the insulation would be, but not how I could reach it. There's nothing with the label of inspection plate. It also didn't show anything about a heater pan drain. So, I really need a description of what you're talking about. Sorry!
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2007, 10:27 PM
    I think the previous answerer was asking about if the heater was installed in a pan to catch spillage and the pan drain may be connected to the home drain [sewer] lines. Is so, the odor is from your drain lines. Is it more noticeable on a windy day?

Feb 14, 2007, 04:26 PM
    I live in Chicago, so it's almost always windy. But, no I don't think it's more noticeable on a windy day. Sometimes it lessens for a couple weeks, but that hasn't happened in a while. When it does lessen, I can still smell it when I open the closet door. It just doesn't permeate the surrounding areas of the house.

And, no there's no pan under the heater.

If there's any suggestion on how to go about checking the insulation, I'd appreciate that. If there are any other ideas about what may be wrong and/or how to fix the problem, I'd appreciate those too. I really need help.

Thanks again.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 14, 2007, 05:32 PM
    There are two plates on a typical electric water heater. One top one bottom. I should have asked, Gas or electric? Tomj
    laura0909009 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 14, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by helplesschick
    There is a strange sewer-like smell surrounding the upstairs hot water heater in my house that is making me sick. The smell comes and goes and can be very strong and overwhelming. One plumber smelled it, but didn't know what caused it or what to do about it. I would appreciate any thoughts on what causes it and what I can do to get rid of it. The water itself is fine, but the air around the water heater is terrible.

Thank you!
    It's a dead mouse propably
    I had the same propblem..
    Just got to find it and get rid of it

Feb 14, 2007, 06:39 PM
    It's a gas heater.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 15, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Gas heaters do not have inspection plates. I opt for a dead critter. Tom

Feb 20, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Gas heaters do not have inspection plates. I opt for a dead critter. Tom
    We can't find a dead mouse or any other critter. Could it be ANYTHING else?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Typically the odors around a gas heater are going to be dust burning, light smell, not offensive, gas leak, rotten egg smell, very dangerous, fire hazard, dead critter, may last until critter rots completely, sewer odor, pan connected to sewer with no trap or trap primer to stop odor, water leak, moldy floor or wall, odor pushed down heater vent from wind and sewer vent too close [not likely but possible] look on roof. Any sewer vents within about 2 feet of gas water heater vent? Broken or defective drain piping near area. Anything else and it does not come to mind. If it persists you may want to do a smoke test and completely rule out the drain system.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Was the tank located over an existing floor drain?

Where does the temperature and pressure relief valve drain to?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Strange solvent/glue smell [ 2 Answers ]

We live in a house built in 1910- in the last couple of days we have noticed an extremely strong solvent/glue like smell coming from the downstairs toilet room. We have narrowed it down to a boxed in area that contatins an old lead water pipe whiche has some white staining on it. We are not 100%...

Rotten smell in heater [ 1 Answers ]

If there is something dead in the vents and I cannot find it. Could it possilby be from the unit itself? After I checked the vents I dissasembeld some of the unit the vent box and checked inside the heat exchanger and smell was in there. I also checked the return and changed the filter. If the...

A strange smell in one room [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have been bothered by a strange smell in one room in my house. I smelled it last summer and it went away during the winter. Now the whether is getting warm (80 degree outside) and I notice the smell again. Even in summer time, the smell does not always stay. Sometimes we smell it and...

Water Heater and Furnace strange problem [ 32 Answers ]

Hello, I've had a perfectly operating Gas Water Heater and Gas Furnace system until about 4 weeks ago. For whatever reason, my Gas Furnace stopped and it sort of starts up on its own. It stops whenever we're not in the house and overnight so we wake up freezing with house temperatures around...

View more questions Search