Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 11:44 AM
    How to clean pond with fish still in
    I need to get the skum out of the bottom of my pond, but I have no where to put the fish, so I'm thinking vacuuming is out of the question. Does anyone have any good ideas?
    It's only about 500 gallons and the water is clean, but I can see accumulated debris at the bottom.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 01:05 PM

In the wild this would be a normal situation in a pond. You may want to physically remove the debris using a long handled net like they use for swimming pools. You really don't want to remove too much of this bottom material as that means your pond is essentially alive and your fish are doing just fine. Removing too much of this may actually disrupt your mini ecological area and end up killing your fish as a result. Having outdoor ponds with fish in can sometimes be hard to properly balance.

A friend of mine had huge (I'm talking 500 gallon indoor) tanks that were literally covered on the inside with green algae. I asked her why she didn't clean off the algae as it looked awful. She explained to me that if she did do that her tank would be "dead" and the fish would die as well from the lack of the natural algae. She was a discus breeder and discus are very fragile and hard to raise fish in captvity, but don't tell her 4 huge tanks that!! They were all crusted over with the green algae and were all very healthy.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 01:09 PM

A pond company would catch the fish and stre them in their native water in a large tank while they drained the pond and power washed it. You can get moderate success by using a wet shop vac. Once the tank fills you unscrew the drain cap and let all of the water and debris drain to the ground, if you snagged a fish it will pop out and flop around. You can return them to the water with not harm. They charge $250 to clean my 1000 gal pond.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 11:21 AM

Are you saying that if a fish gets sucked up into the shop vac, it will be OK? WOW! What a ride. I'll try that method.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 11:22 AM

A small fish can pass down the vac pipe without any real harm, the smaller the better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

Cleaning a fish pond filter [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fish pond (approx 2000 gallons) that came with the house I just purchased. It went green so I asked 2 local companies for advice. Both came to the house and looked at my pond. The filter is a biological gravity filter by the way. One guy said don't touch the filter and the other one...

Keeping a pond clean(ish) [ 42 Answers ]

I have just finished scooping up buckets full of fungus from the bottom of the pond and now have it looking reasonably good, but there must be an easier way of keeping it clean?! I use a flat dinner plate-sized mesh thing attached to a broom stick and scoop gunk up from the bottom of the pond,...

How many koi fish to put in a pond? [ 5 Answers ]

SOMEONE HELP! I am getting a koi fish pond in New England I am having difficulty figuring out how many koi fish to put in the pond I have looked in the interent but there really isent any answer I don't want to overcrowd the fish but I also want to keep them from growng to big (about 6") The...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search