Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phacops Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Program will open on PC not on laptop
    I have a program that works fine on my PC. I needed it on my laptop so by using briefcase and networking I moved it to my laptop but the program will not open or read properly. It is a genealogy program that uses the .uds format and both computers run
    Windows XL. The laptop does not have a CD drive so networking was the only way I could move it. What am I missing and why will it not open on the laptop?
    Thanks
    phacops
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 15, 2008, 11:59 AM

What application is it for?

Both computers must have the same software installed for it to run.

Example: if you have an excel spreadsheet (.xls) on you PC.. and move it to your laptop... but your laptop doesn't have excel, then you can't open it.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 08:33 PM

StaticFX is correct also when you networked it over you might have just did an extension of the program not the original program, this is probably not likely but might want to double check. But defintely check what application is used to run the program and make sure you have a supported version.

RICK
    phacops Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 07:58 AM

Moving by briefcase was of no use as only a shortcut was moved. Finally was able to access program on disk and save on flashdrive, then save on laptop, search through files until install folder was found, ran that, then imported database from PC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I open my Kodak EasyShare program [ 4 Answers ]

I recently downloaded the new verson and now the new icon comes up but the program won't open. What should I do?

C drive asks for program to open with? [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently encountered that when I go to open my c drive it is popping up a window for which program to use to open with. Help.

Local drives ask for program to open with? [ 1 Answers ]

When I double click to open and drive, C:, D:, E:, or even external drives that are connected, the damn thing keeps asking me what program I want to use to open it. Any suggestions..? Ta...

How to open a laptop [ 4 Answers ]

I know to fix desktop pc's but in laptop I'm not really familiar. I want to replace the hdd of my laptop. This is an old laptop but I know I can still use it. But I don't know how to open it. My laptop is NEC versapro va75h

Can't get my laptop open [ 4 Answers ]

Rick is crying big time. Kids dropped the laptop; the pin that the power supply plugs into has broken off :( Manual is no help with directions on opening it up - and I can't find anything Googling. I've removed all screws on the underside of it and still can't get it open. Any ideas? ...

View more questions Search