Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamoogie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Cracking noises, 28 year old house
    I have lived in my 28 year old house since it was built. The settling noises stopped at least 18 years ago. About 3 years ago loud cracking noises started, that sound like they are coming from the ceiling or attic.
    The house is a single story built on a concrete slab. About 14 years ago we had new roofing shingles installed over the original ones. At that time the attic vent fan was removed and a ridge vent was installed.
    A home inspector was not able to suggest a solution.
    Any suggestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Cracking sounds may be as simple as slight stress from wind or movement. Nothing you mentioned should account for this noise but it is possible your attic now heats and cools more than before with the new ridge vent. Are your interior walls or ceilings cracking, if not don't worry.
    jamoogie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Cracking sounds may be as simple as slight stress from wind or movement. Nothing you mentioned should account for this noise but it is possible your attic now heats and cools more than before with the new ridge vent. Are your interior walls or ceilings cracking, if not don't worry.
    Thanks for the quick response, and no the walls and ceilings are not cracking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15 year old kicked out of house - she came to me [ 12 Answers ]

:confused: My daughters best friend showed up at our house yesterday - bags in hand - as her mother kicked her out of the house. She's 15 years old and we have been friends with her family for 10+ years. Anyway, the mother has serious emotional problems and is verbally abusive to her daughter. She...

My 4 year old dog still will pee or poop in the house [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Jack Russell / Rat Terrier mix. She is sweet as she can be, but she still poops and pees in the house. We house trained her when she was a pup, and she does use the bathroom outside. However, she will go out sometimes and then come in the house and go poop in a room. She...

4 Month Old House - Cracking Walls & Popping Floors [ 2 Answers ]

On the second floor of my new house there are loud popping noises when I step near the center support wall that divides two of the bedrooms. The closet doors in both bedrooms have dropped in the upper right corners - I can not shut the doors. There are several hairline cracks where the walls and...

18 year old driving my out of my house [ 3 Answers ]

I am living in total chaos right now and not sure what to do. I am in a blended family for the last 7 years. My spouse has 2 sons and I have 3 girls. Right now his 18 year old son has manipulated, lied and now completely disrespected me to the point that I now have completely removed myself from...

View more questions Search