Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NotHandyMan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Ceiling water stain underneath shower and black pipe
    I have noticed a water stain on my middle level ceiling below my upper level master bath shower. When I pulled up the drain cover in the shower I found the black pipe (lining) is disintegrating in pieces. Is there a relatively simple way to determine where the leak is coming from since it may be more than just the pipe itself, i.e. shower pan, laminate sheet floor outside shower, or pipe? Obviously the builders of these production homes did not use copper plumbing throughout. :confused:
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 04:17 AM
    NHM...

First, I would look all around outside the shower and caulk any obvious places where water could be getting by and down to ceiling below.

Then I would look behind the wall where the shower valve is and check to be sure that it is not the shower valve or shower arm leaking (remove faceplate and then run shower without plate on... look inside wall with flashlight and see if any water drips from the valve or from the shower arm above the valve).

Then I might replace the donut shaped rubber seal around the drain pipe in shower if in fact it is a rubber seal (is floor of shower bouncy.. ). If disintegrated as you suggest you may be able to pull old rubber out with a pair of needlenose pliers and install replacement rubber (if hard ring around pipe, then drain is leaded in, that will be a little tougher to work on). Is this shower floor a premolded shower floor or a tiled shower floor?

Then I would go downstairs and determine exactly where the drain center is from above (not necessarily where the stain is) and I would cut a 6 x6 hole... (home supply makes a great spring loaded access panel that just snaps into the hole afterward so you can repair hole when you have time to do it)... and then evaluate the situation from there... any real issue should show itself there.

If not, then I would plug off the shower drain and fill the shower pan to the threshold until something revealed itself.

There, that should get you started anyway... ;) let us know thoughts... MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size black pipe for the hot water tank and furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know what is the correct size black pipe is used for the furnace and hot water tank 1/2" and 3/4" Thank you

Water Stain on Dining Room Ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

HELP ! I live in a 2 story house. I noticed a brown spot on main floor dining room ceiling (around a light fixture) It feels damp and spongy. I have not had any flooding in the upstairs bathroom and no noticeable leaks. There are no windows in the upstairs bathroom or on that side of the house...

Black hair with white underneath or streaks ideas [ 2 Answers ]

Okay so I have been doing my hair for the LONGEST TIME. I want something different . I only dye it different colors. I never experimented with two colors at once and I decided I wanted Black hair but with white streaks. You know how you see people with black hair and white streaks or solid white...

Gas (black) pipe in water line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I used a 9 inch section of black pipe (gas pipe) in my water line, because it was the right length and saved a trip to the store for galvanised. My wife tells me that this will cause the water to smell and taste bad, is she right? It'll be a major pain to replace that section, but she says I...

Rust stain on cold water supply pipe [ 8 Answers ]

I am near the end of a kitchen renovation. Yesterday I was looking at some pictures taken at an earlier stage when I noticed a rust stain on the cold water pipe that supplies my kitchen sink (photo attached). I have since covered this pipe with drywall, but I'm wondering if it's worth cutting a...

View more questions Search