Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dalek Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Window a/c issue.bad unit?
    I replaced a twenty year old window (through the wall) a/c unit with a new one. The new unit is 18000BTU and rated at 12 amps. I replaced the existing outlet with a 125V 20 amp outlet with 12/2 wire going to it’s own breaker (20 amp) in the service box. I only find two bars in the service box for grounds or commons. The existing wires coming in have both white and ground wires attached to the same bars. I did the same. We have 100 amp service. I measure 120 volts at the outlet. The problem is that the a/c fan runs well but the compressor only runs a few minutes and then the breaker trips. I’m wondering if 100 amp service is enough. I’ve calculated the load for the building based on existing appliances and come up with 78 amps. The breaker trips with all other appliances off also. I’m about to return the a/c unit….any ideas before I pull that honker out of the wall?

It is a 15000btu unit!!
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2007, 02:08 PM
    It should be on a dedicated line. Nothing but a/c on that line
    dalek Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Yep... it is on a dedicated line.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Amprobe would be nice to see what Amps unit is drawing.
    With everything off and AC tripping Breaker. Sounds like AC has a problem.
    Check breaker connections in Panel for Main and AC,Might as well tighten all.
    Verify Small Prong of outlet is hot. When other probe or lead connected to neutral, and then to ground.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Everything you have for the circuit, and service is fine. I think there is no other choice that the unit does have a problem. But there is a chance the breaker is defective, may be worth swapping the breaker and give that a try before removing the AC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recharging window unit AC [ 3 Answers ]

Can a window unit air conditioner be recharged with freon? (or whatever the coolant used is called) If so, how?

Coils freeze window ac unit. Why? [ 6 Answers ]

The coils keep freezing. I'm told it's a low freon issue from a friend. Is this true? The unit is nearing 7 years, and I don't recall having any problems with it , or ever charging it.

Can I vent a window A/C unit into the attic? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a window A/C unit in the wall of my third floor. I know that if I vent it into the attic, it will increase the temperature of the attic. What problems would occur if the heat in the attic did increase significantly?

Old window unit [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Friedrich window unit. It has a 3 prong plug and we have it in a 20 amp socket. The breaker is a 60 amp and the wiring is 220 12/3. We aren't getting power to the unit. What are we doing wrong here?? :eek:

Is there a dehumidifier/window unit?. [ 3 Answers ]

I am so tired of having to empty my dehumidifier every day and I don't have a basement drain. Does anyone know if a window unit exists?

View more questions Search