Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ludakris Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2005, 07:18 AM
    Hot water heater help
    I just replaced my electric hot water heater. I think the coil burned out on the old one. I bought a Whirlpool 12yr and it has the "diagnostics" on it. I connected everything, filled it with water, then turned on the power... no green light.. no power. The line coming in has power. It runs off a 30 amp double breaker.. I used a simple tester (light for 110v or 220v).. and at the wires coming in I am getting a 110v light. The new heater and old heater are 240v only... is my tester wrong, or did something happen at the breaker? Or do I have a bad water heater? Help!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2005, 04:09 AM
    Judging the circuit breaker, you should have 240 volts at the water heater. Check your tester on a known 240 volt source to test your tester. If the tester shows 240 volts then the circuit feeding the water heater is faulty.

The problem can be the circuit breaker, or any splice in the circuit to the water heater.

If you find any of these conditions, and still need more infor get back with your question.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2005, 08:37 AM
    Go back to your installation instructions. Do they say anything about needing a neutral wire? Many heavy duty appliances, including ranges and dryers, have 110 components and are wired up with 3 conductor plus ground wire. The red and black wire are both 110 volt to ground, but opposite phase. The white is neutral and connected to ground. Older water heaters were wired with 2 conductor cable with a ground, but no neutral. Your test light should show 220 between 2 phases of 110, but 110 to ground from either.

If your new heater requires a neutral that the old one didn't have, you may have to run another wire, easier with singles in a conduit, and maybe a pain if you must snake new NM through walls. Post back with the details.
    ludakris Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2005, 07:18 AM
    Thanks guys, it turned out I had a bad breaker and was only getting 80v at the heater.. new breaker, working great...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Water heater 110 or 220 [ 10 Answers ]

Looking to buy a kenmore 20 gallon water heater.110 has 2000 watt element 220 has 4000 element.I was told either way they will use the same amount of electric just the 220 will heat up more quick .Is this the case.I ask because sister said she had a 110 dryer once and electric went through the...

Hot water heater [ 5 Answers ]

I live in an 8-year old townhouse and have an A.O Smith 50 gallon hot water heater the same age. The plumber told me it needs to be replaced (does this sound like a reasonable time frame for that?) and mentioned something about a wags valve. Is this something I should have installed or is it...

Water heater [ 6 Answers ]

I wanted to bounce something off you guys about my water heater we just replced on Saturday. After a very long day of problems trying to install this thing because we couldn't get the lines dry enough to solder on the cold supply, we were all ready to pack up and noticed the fittings where the hot...

View more questions Search