Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slfeldkamp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2005, 11:57 AM
    Dachshund losing teeth - 11yrs. Old
    A couple of months ago, our 11 yr. old male mini dachshund had an infection in the gum around one of his back teeth. It was causing terrible breath, but the vet put him on antibiotics and it went away in a couple of days. The past couple of days we have noticed the odor again, and had planned to take him back, but noticed this morning that one of his front teeth on the top is loose, and about to fall out. He will be taken to the vet tomorrow if possible, but in the meantime what should we do? We are afraid it might fall out and he could choke, but we don't want to pull it either. He is in pain, and is just laying around which is very unusual for him. Is this normal for a dachshund this age? Any info would help. Thank you.
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Feb 20, 2005, 02:43 PM
    Dachshund losing teeth
    My husband says that everyone he knows who ever had dachshunds had the same problem. It is probably hereditary. (from me, try feeding some chopped parsley in his food, this is excellent for bad breath)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2005, 03:48 PM
    I wouldn't worry about him choking. There is never a problem when puppies lose their teeth, even a puppy molar which is fairly large, perhaps as large as an adult from tooth. Half a 325 mg buffered aspirin might ease his pain tonight. Aspirin is one of the few over the counter pain relievers safe for dogs. Do not give Tylenol or other newer pain killers to a dog.
    slfeldkamp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2005, 04:52 PM
    Dachshund losing teeth - 11yrs. Old
    Thank you so much. I feel so bad for him; I know he doesn't feel good, but I didn't know what to do for his pain. He really his my "child".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

91 Honda Civic losing coolant [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 91 honda civic, 1.5 L and 149K miles on it. Last week I just noticied a high engine temperature and so I stopped and check the coolant and it was empty and so do the radiator. I immediately bought a 50/50 coolant and filled the radiator and filled the coolant tank between max...

I am losing interest! [ 3 Answers ]

I posted about a girl I care about earlier. Maybe it isn't love, but I have sacrificed a lot for her. Anyway, I didn't do anything out of the way to her and she seems to be falling away from me. She seems to bore me now. How do I spark back up the relationship. I don't want to loose her. ...

Memory Sticks Losing IT (and so am I) [ 10 Answers ]

Hey Guys, Got a problem that none of the computer whizzes that I know can figure out. I have two 512 Meg memory sticks in my memory bays. Some times They both run at 512 a piece but lately one has dropped down to 32 megs from 512 to over a few days time in 64 MB jumps. The other went down...

Losing it! [ 7 Answers ]

I have two young sons, 3 & 7. I am married, but my husband is seldom home. He works constantly so he doesn't have to deal w/the responsibility of raising the kids. To say they are WILD would be an understatement. They have NO respect for me or the limits I try to set and enforce. Every day is...

View more questions Search