Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goerlng Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2006, 07:16 AM
    Misquito bites from Peru
    I recently travelled to Peru where my legs gotten eaten by misquitos. I've rarely gotten bites in the US and my skin reacted horribly to the Peru misquitos. I'm back now and they're healing, but I'm anxious to be active again. My question is, will they heal faster if I don't run or exercise? And should I avoid the sun? It's a hot sunny weekend and I'd love to go for a run outside, but I'd rather have these heal more quick and I don't want to make them worse. Any advice?
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 28, 2006, 10:56 PM
    Hi Goering,
    It's really hard to say without knowing just how bad an adverse reaction you had, but I shouldn't think running in moderation will really slow the healing process. If anything, it will help bring fresh, oxygenated blood to the tissues. I would though probably try to shield the bites from the sun as much as possible. Just be careful not to overdo your run in hot weather, as any release of stress hormones such as cortisol would most certainly impair healing. You could perhaps try putting small quantities of a hydrocortisone containing cream on the bites. This may help speed healing, and would certainly reduce any itching or irritation. Enjoy your run. :)
    goerlng Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to run indoors and keep my legs out of the sun. I thought it could be helpful to get the blood flowing, but didn't want to risk making them worse. I have been using hydrocortisone cream a few times daily, and taking Benadryl at night for about a week to help speed this up. Thanks again!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 29, 2006, 10:18 AM
    Benadryl will only stop the itching. Unfortunately, the only remedy I know of would be time.

You were given good advice about the running. It will stimulat blood flow to the area to help speed the healing process, but definitely keep out of the sun.

Also, take baths in cool water as hot water tends to dry skin and make it itch more.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 30, 2006, 02:53 AM
    Thanks Goering. Good advice about cool water. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mysterious bites? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all. I'm new here and am hoping someone can help me out. Basically, for about the past three months, about every three weeks or so I wake up with bites on my lower legs - although I have had them as high as my hip and lower back. They are so itchy, and are quite big and go really...

Mosquito bites or bed bugs? [ 6 Answers ]

?? I need advice! Two weeks ago I was at a picnic and seemed to notice a lot of knats around. Two days after the picnic I discovered over 20 bites on my legs which I had an allergic reaction to. Most of both legs were pink, swolen, and hot to the touch. The bites became the size of quarters. ...

Bites [ 1 Answers ]

What is a good remedy to stop the itching from bed bug bite?

History Bites [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone here seen "History Bites" (tv show)? If you haven't then try to look it up or see if they air it on the discovery/comedy networks in your area because it is one of those few educational gems out there. http://www.historybites.com/

Doxie Puppy Gives Love Bites [ 3 Answers ]

My 8-month-old Doxie puppy bites my hand, tummy, clothes or whatever part of me he can. When he's outside, he chews everything except his chew toys! :) I know I need to stop this, but he is overly submissive so I don't want to yell or scare him. So far, I've said, "Hey!" but he doesn't quit for...

View more questions Search