Ask
    goodtime2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Smell coming from receptacle
    What to do? Replace?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Yes, plan on replacing it right away, or at least shut off the power at the breaker for this circuit until you can get a new receptacle.

Look for burnt connections and insulation on the wires connected to the outlet.

I believe you will find four wires, 2 black and 2 white, along with a green or bare wire, and that the connections are loose, and the wiring is feeding other outlets that are being used. The current flowing through the loose connections at this outlet is creating heat that is damaging the outlet and/or wiring inside the box, and that is the odor you smell.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 25, 2008, 04:32 PM
    I had a similar situation in my 6 year old home. Thank goodness I could recognize the smell, and pinpoint the problem.

The EC :( that wired the house twisted the wirenut too tight on the white conductors. The wirenut was melted.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jul 26, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Washington,

Just for my own edification :D, how was the wire nut on too tight, and how did that cause a problem? I always twist my wires with a linemans pliers before installing the nut, and I can only apply leverage up to a certain point when installing the nut by hand, hmmmmmm... never heard of this problem before
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Whenever a wire nut melts and wires are burned, it's always a case of a loose connection, not too tight of one. And Shader, every good electrician that I know does exactly what you do, mechanically tighten the connection with linemans pliers before installing the nut. It's the proper thing to do.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 27, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Yeah, I only told half the story. The wirenut had too many conductors twisted waaaaay too tight ---breaking through the wirenut. -The break-through caused arcing---which melted the wire nut.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a maximum number of conductors coming into receptacle or switch box? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and in process of wiring it. I was wondering if the NEC code specified a maximum number of 12-3 or 14-3 wires coming into an outlet or switch box. I have heard two different opinions on this. One opinion was that I could only run two wires into a standard single gang...

Bad Smell coming from furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, since the winter season has begun I have always smelled something like someone burning wood or a fireplace burning smell. Just this week I have started smelling that coming from my registers when the heat kicks on in my house. My furnace is 3 years old. Thanks for your help in advance... Meda

BAD SMELL I have a very bad smell coming from my toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I live on a slab, older house & have a horrible smell coming from one of my bathrooms, also there are nats flying out of my shower drain. Do you have any idea on what this could be... I really don't have the money for a plumber... please let me know any suggestions... Thank You :confused: ...

Where's the smell coming from [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, I'm new here and I just moved into an older house that my friend is renting to me. I moved in a month ago, but I just started smelling something about 2 to 3 weeks ago. At first I thought it smelled like gas, so I called the gas company. I noticed that the smell only occurred...

Pet smell coming through the drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My downstairs neighbor's apartment reeks of pet smell. They have dogs, birds etc in a very small apaartment. Since I have moved in there has been a really bad odor coming up through the drains in the bathroom. Can someone give me an idea on how to correct this? My thought is that they...

View more questions Search