Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Jul 27, 2009, 09:47 PM
    Petitioning for husband's citizenship even though he's lived in the USA?
    I have a couple right now that is looking to get married. The man is not a legal resident - he is an undocumented immigrant to the United States. He has been here since 2001. As far as he knows, he can't get married here in the USA, so they were thinking about going back to Mexico, getting married, and then having her petition for his citizenship. She was born here in the USA. The question I have is, can they do that? Would INS approve something for someone who's been living here for so many years without documentation?
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Jul 28, 2009, 04:26 AM

Not enough information.

It depends on his manner of entry and what he has filed or others have fiiled for him prior to April 30, 2001 to be eligible for AOS under section 245(I). Any criminal arrests, charges or convictions is also important.

Did he enter with a visa and overstay? EWI and file a LC? PC passport? False claim to citizenship?

Get this information and consult with an experienced immigration attorney.
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Jul 28, 2009, 09:21 AM

He entered illegally through the border and has not filed anything. He has no criminal arrests or charges of any type.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Jul 28, 2009, 10:27 AM

It will depend on the specific facts of the illegal entry.

If he entered EWI, he will need to use 245(I) to adjust status in the US. 245(I) allows for adjustment with payment of a $1000 penalty to forgive the EWI and unauthorized employment in the US. He will have to have filed a LC or someone filed a preference petition prior to 04/30/2001, the day the extension of 245(I) ended.

If he entered under false pretenses, he may be eligible for a waiver depending on the hardship to his USC spouse.

Strongly recommend consulting with experienced immigration attorney to discuss in detail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I lived in NY and NJ and Texas, I lived in Texas for longest period. More background: [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have several questions regarding how taxes were taken out of my paycheck. First some background: A) I lived in NYC from July 14 - October 5 (Just short of 3 Months) B) I lived Jersey City, NJ from October 5 - November 7 (1 Month) C) I lived in Fishkill, NY from November 7 -...

Lived in NJ for 7 months, lived in PA for 5 months - What taxes should I file? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I've been having some issues with this. In 2008 I lived in Jersey for 7 months, lived in PA for the other 5 months and have ALWAYS worked in Jersey. What forms should I file? I filed PA already and NJ Resident for those 7 months. Do I have to do a NJNR for the other 5 months?

Petitioning to a Parole Officer [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to send a letter to my brother's parole officer asking for them to help my brother get help (rehabilitation). The system is broken, as he's been in and out of the system for almost 20 years now. He'll get out, can't find work due to his felon and he's released back into the same type...

US citizen petitioning mother with two daughters under 21 [ 1 Answers ]

It was my understanding that as a US citizen, you could petition your parent and this would automatically include any children under 21. My sisters are 19 and 16 years old. I just received a processing fee bill which only includes my mother and not my 2 sisters. I called the National Visa Center...

View more questions Search