Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stefani1 Posts: 47, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Is it normal for an ex wife to continue using her ex husbands last name?
    Its been 5 years since the divorce and my boyfriends ex still uses his last name. Is this common? :confused:
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 10, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Do they have children together or was she court ordered to change her name back?
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 10, 2007, 11:09 AM
    It is her name if she took it when they got married and she (she would have to request it) did not have it changed back legally during the divorce. Your last name does not automatically revert back to your maiden name during a divorce it would have to be requested and ordered.

Doesn't matter how long they were married. Doesn't matter if they have kids.

If she did have her name changed back during the divorce legally but is still using her married name then she is probably just lazy and hasn't changed it with social security, drivers license etc. and has to continue to use the name.

But why does it bother you?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 11:47 AM
    I worked with a woman once that didn't change her married name after divorce. She didn't have kids, she said she liked the name and she also knew it drove his new wife crazy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 12:11 PM
    In the US, the women's name normally stays the same unless she specificly asks for it to be changed back. And yes I would say that 70 to 80 percent of all of the divorced women I know keept their exs last name.
    fix-what-you-broke Posts: 305, Reputation: 61

May 10, 2007, 12:38 PM
    My mum still uses her ex husbands name, they have been divorced over 15 years now
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 01:18 PM
    My mom still has my dads last name and it has been over 25 years... Don't let it get to you.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

May 10, 2007, 01:23 PM
    My ex husbands mum kept her married name forever after her divorce, some 25 years by the time she sadly passed away. Actually that is a slight lie, she actually got married again the day before she passed away, so when she died he had her new husbands name! I am almost divorced now but haven't used my married name for about 3 years now, I dropped it when we separated. Our kids have both our surnames so it was never an issue. Had the kids had only his surname, I would have kept it too. I wouldn't want the kids having a different name to me. I don't think it is any real issue. They have a paper saying they are divorced, its up to her what name she chooses to have!

May 10, 2007, 02:47 PM
    I don't know why it bugs me. I guess I just think maybe she really isn't iver him yet. And I had never heard of anyone keeping a name after divorce. I was just curious if there was a link. This is the first man I date that has baggage so I still have concerns and or questions every now and then. Lol.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Keep having concerns and questions and keep the lines of communication open so he knows about them. If you can talk through these things, then many of your concerns will go away.. Last name means nothing in this case. He is with you right?

May 10, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Yes. This is true, he is with me now. But I think that a lot of my concerns with dating him is what will come of these things later, if we in fact do get married. I asked him once how come she hadn't changed her name back to her maiden name and if it bothered him that she still used his name. He siad he expected her to still use it because she has his kids. And that its not that he is letting her use it, she just never gave it back. Lol. Oh well I guess you guys are right, I should not worry about it. Im not going to let it bother me anymore =)
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Im not going to let it bother me anymore
    It is common in the USA for a female to keep her married name, and its no big deal, and you should even think about it. You're the first one that I've heard ask about it to be honest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bi-polar, infertile husband, gives up on wife and life. (by wife) [ 17 Answers ]

I got married nearly 4 years ago. Recently I found out that my husband is bi-polar and has pathological lying disorder. Just before that. We took was out $27,000 for IVF treatment, and long story short he stopped working and would not get a job, created debt, lied about it etc. While I was going...

91 honda civics starts but won't continue to run [ 2 Answers ]

I have a "91" honda civic 1500 with 189,000 mi. I changed the plugs and wires but the still have the same problem. The car will start and run for several seconds normaly then die. The only way to keep it running is to pump the gas peddle vigorously. The car will continue to run a little longer but...

Continue high school or just get a GED [ 3 Answers ]

We live in New York. My son is going to be 18 this July. He is somewhat still a Freshman in high school.(or barely Sophomore) due to his credits. He repeated 5th grade. He failed classes Freshman year of high school. (as to why he was lacking credits) He always had to go to summer schools. I...

Should I continue or not? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey, I met this guy when I was working in Seattle 2 years ago. I had a boyfriend at that time (for more than 10 yrs) but I somehow fall in for him. He loves me and we have sex, though he has a girlfriend for 10+ years. The thing is, I moved back home, and moved out my boyfriend's place 6...

Motion to Continue [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are tyring to reconcile. I have already filed a motion to continue with the court. Is there any way to get a motion for leave from court or a motion to stay to see if we can work things out without having to refile for divorce if they don't workout? Thank you for your help. ...

View more questions Search