Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    masaf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 12:22 AM
    Daughter-in-law wants mom out
    My mom has lived with my brother and his wife ever since they bought the house (almost 20 years). My mom is not listed as one of the legal owners.
    1.Does she have any rights as to who can visit her and when?
    2.Even if she does not pay rent, does she have at least some kind of legal protection to stay there opposed to being kicked out?
    3. Can my mom's daughter-in-law unilaterally kick my mom out if my brother is also one of the owners?

Thanks a bunch.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 07:04 AM
    The answer for all three is basically No. Since she pays no rent and did not contribute to the purchase of the house (I'm assuming since you didn't mention it) she is essentially a guest. Guests have very little rights except those granted by the hosts. However, since you brother is a part owner, the daughter-in-law just can't throw her out.

What I would strongly suggest is that your mom speak to an elder care professional. She should be able to find one through a local senior center. They can better advise her of her rights in this situation. They could vary depending on locality.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Dec 6, 2006, 07:18 AM
    If, your brother and your sister in law want mama out then she is out. Question did mama help with the down payment for the home? Your brother cannot tell your mama that she cannot have company. If, he is telling her that she cannot have company that is abuse and you need to step in and take care of mama.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 07:21 AM
    I must disagree and agree with Luna here. The owner of the house can certainly impose their will on who can enter the house.

But, keeping your mother isolated could be considered abusive and your local Family Services agency, would take a dim view of it.

Dec 6, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Thanks for the answers. I didn't realize the abuse angle in this which is important because it effects her emntal health.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 06:54 PM
    1. No
    2. Unless your brother is her court-appointed guardian, no.
    3. No. Your brother and daughter-in-law would have to legally evict her.

I gather from your post that your sister-in-law wants your mother out of the house while your brother doesn't necessarily feel the same way. As a guest in your home, it'd be pretty hard for her to assert any specific rights regarding who can visit her in the home. I gather your sister-in-law doesn't want you going over there? Legally, if your brother consents to you visiting, your sister-in-law can't keep you away unless she had a restraining order against you. And your mother can't be evicted unless your brother and sister-in-law jointly take action. Normally an eviction requires 30 days notice ; that would be the lead time for your mother to find a new place to live. It sounds like your brother and sister-in-law are butting heads over you and your mother. If that's the case, then this isn't something that's going to be settled in the courts.

Dec 10, 2006, 11:03 PM
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Larjada Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jun 8, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by masaf
    My mom has lived with my brother and his wife ever since they bought the house (almost 20 years). My mom is not listed as one of the legal owners.
    1.Does she have any rights as to who can visit her and when?
    2.Even if she does not pay rent, does she have atleast some kind of legal protection to stay there opposed to being kicked out?
    3. Can my mom's daughter-in-law unilaterally kick my mom out if my brother is also one of the owners?

thanks a bunch.
    What is your brothers position, in this matter. This is a legal matter. You can get free legal aid for your mother if she cannot afford a lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help as far as treating a daughter like a daughter [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am asking for help! I have a 33 year old daughter who it seems is always coming up with "why can't you treat me like a daughter should be treated, I have my own family and you just don't treat me like a daughter should be treated". What am I going to do here? I have been...

Help with daughter in law problem [ 75 Answers ]

I have a beautiful 19 month granddaughter that I dearly love and I love to spend time with her. The time I get to spend with her seems to me, is the time left over after everyone else. I have made plans for special outings on several occasions only to have them canceled at the last minute. If...

My Mom... [ 6 Answers ]

My mom has been acting... odd. I have a really long story to tell and I really want to hear some really good advice. Ok... I guess I'll start from the only place I know to... I have a sister. She is now 23 years old, and she is where the explanation begins. When we were younger my dad...

Mom in need of help [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is to receive child support for her daughter. She was a high school senior and dropped out due to loss of family member. She has enrolled in corispondece classes via mail from a reputable university. My father feels he has no obligation to further pay child support, because my sister is...

View more questions Search