Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suthrndreamgirl Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 07:08 PM
    Is there a time frame the court must meet in conducting a Probation Revocation hearing
    Is there a time frame the court must meet to give the defendant a probation revocation hearing in the state of TN? I have heard they must have the hearing within 45 days of the violation being filed.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Suthrndreamgirl View Post
    Is there a time frame the court must meet to give the defendant a probation revocation hearing in the state of TN?
    Hello S:

There's NO law on the subject. They can take all the time they want.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 09:16 AM

I the person in jail waiting for the hearing,

Jan 9, 2010, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I the person in jail waiting for the hearing, ?
    Yes, he is currently incarcerated. He was first placed in Juvenile Detention. He turned 18 & was then transferred to the county jail. He has been incarcerated since Oct. 12th. I have been told that the courts have 45 days from the date of incarceration to have his revocation hearing. I didn't know if the extended time frame may violate his right to due process.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Suthrndreamgirl View Post
    Yes, he is currently incarcerated. I didn't know if the extended time frame may violate his right to due process.
    Hello again, S:

Your son, I presume, is serving a sentence having been convicted of a crime. His right's to due process are NOT the same as a free persons are.

That doesn't mean he has NO due process rights, and 3 months DOES seem excessive. IF they ARE violating his rights, you're going to need an attorney to file a motion.. If you just called and told them they're violating his rights, they'll laugh at you.

So, it boils down to a question of what YOU'RE going to DO about it. It's not really about what THEY'RE doing.

That is, of course, unless you can get the document saying that they must act within 45 days. Hearing about it ain't good enough.

excon
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jan 9, 2010, 11:16 AM

Here is the OP's other post in regards to this situation... https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...tn-433365.html

Jan 9, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, S:

Your son, I presume, is serving a sentence having been convicted of a crime. His right's to due process are NOT the same as a free persons are.

That doesn't mean he has NO due process rights, and 3 months DOES seem excessive. IF they ARE violating his rights, you're going to need an attorney to file a motion.. If you just called and told them they're violating his rights, they'll laugh at you.

So, it boils down to a question of what YOU'RE going to DO about it. It's not really about what THEY'RE doing.

That is, of course, unless you can get the document saying that they must act within 45 days. Hearing about it ain't good enough.

excon
    Hi excon... I appreciate your response. He's not my son... but may as well be. I've taken him in & have been guiding him in staying on track since he was released on probation from a prior offense. Now here we go with round 2!
    This whole ordeal has been a nightmare from the get-go. They've been jerking him around since day 1. When he went for his first court appearance, his old attorney (who isn't worth crap) stepped up (without this boys consent... (he was a juvenile at the time & I didn't have any legal guardianship/power of attorney... his legal guardian wasn't present) & waived his right to a preliminary hearing.? It was bound over to the Grand Jury... which did pass down a true bill. He went for his first scheduled revocation hearing & the court put it off a month. Went for the second hearing & they put it off again. Went this week & they said there was a conflict of interest with the public defenders office representing him, because they have represented the "victim" before... so they passed him off to another attorney. It took them THIS long to figure out there was a conflict?? Hmmm. After speaking with her, she said they were going to reinstate his bond, yet the court never sent the paperwork to the jail. Now the court said they don't have any record of the bond being reinstated. The attorney said they will have to file another motion with the court fot that. Trust & believe I'm going to stay on top of this & do everything in my power to make sure he doesn't get screwed over. That's why I'm doing as much research as I can... & reaching out for any help & advice I can get. It makes me sick at how many people get lost in the system because they don't have people to help fight for them. Doing my best & appreciate all the help I can get.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 11:28 AM

Hello again:

Given that he's being charged with other offenses, it's appropriate to put off the revocation until there's a conviction or not. If there's none, he won't have violated probation either. If there is, he ALSO violated his probation...

Because he's being held in jail on other charges, there's NO violation of his due process rights in terms of his probation..

excon

PS> I read your other post... Even IF you have evidence that he's innocent, you need someone COMPETENT to present it, because it's clearly NOT being believed right now. HAVING it ain't enough. For that, you/he needs a very good criminal attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation revocation process began after offender release date from probation [ 10 Answers ]

My fiancé was sentenced to 5 years probation in 2003. The day before his probation was over Sep. 2nd his P.O. placed him on a probation hold saying that he was in a bar the prior weekend. His 5 year release date from probation was Sep. 3 2008. On Sep 3 his P.O. brought him police reports...

Probation revocation [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend. Is on probation. We recently had a death in the family so he called to cancel his appointment. We won't b in town for 2 more weeks and knowing his p.o she won't be happy. Do we need to tell her the exact address or is that unneccecary.can she just know the town.He figures when he gets...

Extradition for Probation revocation [ 1 Answers ]

Will Texas extradite a fugitive for a warrant for probation revocation? On probation for a Class C felony possession with intent to sell meth within 50 ft of a park Sentenced to 5 years probation and has only served 9 months of this sentence before fleaing to Texas!

Probation Revocation [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I was arrested almost 4 yrs ago for under the influence of a controlled substance. I went to court and plead guilty and was placed on informal probation and had to enroll in drug classes. When I went to the probation office I advised the probation offficer that I had moved to a...

Revocation of probation [ 3 Answers ]

Is it required by the state of Georgia that if your probation is revoked that you must serve 30 days in jail?

View more questions Search