Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again,

DrJ is right on.

I find it interesting that so many of you miss what I'm asking... I'm not talking ABOUT swearing, in that do you, or don't you, and I'm not asking whether it's offensive or not.... THAT stuff, I know.

I'm talking about WHY some word is offensive. Is it because someone TOLD you to be offended, or does the word actually grate on your ears when you hear it...

excon
    I think some words are viewed as offensive because they are often used in that manner... to be offensive. Yes, they are just words, but depending on the context in which they are used, they can inflict a great deal of pain... as often is intended.

One might joke around with a friend and call them a name, both getting a good laugh from it, but you could turn around and use the same name in a hateful tone to show displeasure with someone else and it will have a very different purpose and response.

You might say sh*t when you stub your toe and many might not be necessarily offended by it... call a child a little sh*t when you are angry with them, and likely more people would find that inappropriate. Same word, different situation, different level of acceptance.

As with many words, swear words or otherwise, it often is in the delivery and circumstances in which they are used that can cause offense or not.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 2, 2009, 08:19 PM
    I'm talking about WHY some word is offensive. Is it because someone TOLD you to be offended, or does the word actually grate on your ears when you hear it...
    This is somewhat related to "blood is thicker than water." I can call my kid a little brat, but not many other people better do that! Or if I tell my husband that his mother is the family controller and should wear a whistle around her neck, plan to put me up for the night because I won't be sleeping in my own bed. Yet, at the next get-together with his sibings, they could all be yukking it up and slapping their knees about what a controlling person their mother is and how she would make a good camp director.

The same with the words you are talking about, excon. It depends on who your audience is. Years ago I had a male friend whose every sentence contained an obscenity. His friends and I mentally bleeped them out because the rest of the sentences were worth listening to. He even had a couple of master's degrees, so a poor vocabulary was not his problem. Then, one afternoon, I went with him on an insurance appointment, thinking selling insurance might be something I would be interested in doing myself. I couldn't believe it, was struck dumb listening to him. Only the angels have a more beautiful vocabulary!

And I'll just add that I grew up as the oldest child of a preacher and lived in a farm town of 500 German Lutherans whose only public swear word was scheisskopf. I attended a Christian college, so no bad words there, especially not in front of us young ladies. It wasn't until 1969 that I learned "offensive words" from a crew of five male State Farm claims adjusters for whom I typed reports and letters. By then we had figured out there was such a thing as free speech, and some took it more seriously than others.

The audience makes all the difference.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2009, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    By then we had figured out there was such a thing as free speech, and some took it more seriously than others.
    Like everything else free it's worth what you pay for it:)
    MaddieLove Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 12:27 PM

I am a Christian, and I do get offended by people that take the Lords name in vain, but that's just me personally, other then that words don't offend me, one good thing about America, freedom of speech!
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 11:36 AM
    You can't find a post of mine where I've put people or their religion down.

excon
    How about this one?

"You're a f**king idiot"? (Your post - #49)

Or this one?

"Now go climb back under your rock"? (Your post - #59)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 08:35 PM

Hello A:

Well, you DESERVED them both. Are you shooting for another?

excon
    ijustdontknow Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I shouldn't answer because words don't offend me, they're just words, they only have power if you give them power.

That's all I have to say about that. :)
    I agree, words are just words.

More offensive words can give more expression in speech I think. This could be why people use them, rather than intending offense (unless in an argument).
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Just a thought
    "What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds."
    ijustdontknow Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 7, 2009, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Just a thought
    I like that quote :)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Just a thought
    Actually, what this country needs is more personal responsibility, and less belief that we should interfere in the lives and beliefs of other people.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Aug 7, 2009, 04:14 PM
    That's my theory about divorce Syn!
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Hello A:

Well, you DESERVED them both. Are you shooting for another?

excon
    DESERVED? I must have touched a sore spot. Did I? Why don't you tell us what it was?

Or would you prefer to go on with what you said you never do?

Am I shooting for another? Wow, very scary.

You threaten like the little girl you are.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 04:40 PM

Hello A:

Out from under your rock again, huh?

excon
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 04:56 PM

Since I do not have no cable.

I guess sitting here watching this is very funny comedic entertainment.

Thanks Excon.

Joe
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2009, 05:09 PM

Heck, I even HAVE cable and I'm still here watching this instead!

I'm half tempted to contact a good psychic to see what other life excon must have wronged this guy...
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2009, 05:10 PM
    Hello A:

Out from under your rock again, huh?

excon
    Was that your best shot?

Pretty lame and girly.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2009, 05:16 PM

(I wonder if... when he saying in his mind what he is typing out... he actually talks/thinks it in a Saturday-Night-Live-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Pump-You-Up accent..? )
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
    (I wonder if... when he saying in his mind what he is typing out... he actually talks/thinks it in a Saturday-Night-Live-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Pump-You-Up accent...???)
    I just snorkeled. Lol
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 06:04 AM
    Hello Christians, and anyone else who is offended by down home cussing:

I started thinking about words. I'm not offended by any of them. Some of the worst, are actually the best, in my view. But, I know some people are, and I wanted to talk to them. You guys are the closest to the ones whom I'd expect are offended by certain words....

Ok, is it the WORD, or what the word suggests that is offensive? Like, how is, "that's freaking good" OK, as opposed to "that's f***** good"? Is even writing that word the way I just did using lots of ***'s, offensive???

excon
    Ex,

I think swearing is trashy. I don't like it. I have used so called "bad" words before but in general... it is soooooooooooo not classy! :)

Did you know that the Bible says this... Isaiah 29:21 That make a man an offender for a word, and lay a snare for him that reproveth in the gate, and turn aside the just for a thing of nought

It is just a word... who decides if it is BAD.. Personally, I think that Christians that swear like a sailor is not representing Christ but it is just a word.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First dirty ua [ 9 Answers ]

Hey guys been reading from afar for awhile,big hello to excon and fr_chuck you are kind of like rockstars on here for the srewd and scared lol anyhoot Well been on felony probation a little over a yr they had me check into a kiosk lucky me till I blew it "STUUUUPID ME" 2weeks ago with a herb...

"Dirty words! [ 10 Answers ]

That's it, I'm pulling out of everything and going back to work! I NEED TO GET SOME REST! Does anyone have an opening for a print datastream analyst and Critical Situation Manager. I'm looking for a home office situation and I'm willing to cut my salary to 100K instead of 150K just to go back...

Dirty old man [ 1 Answers ]

I went on a cruise with my mother, and they had shows on the ship. One of them was a "newlyweds" show, they had three sets of two chairs facing back to back, where the couples sat, (back to back if you didn't catch on.) On the left where the oldest married couple, on the right the youngest, and the...

Dirty hot water [ 1 Answers ]

Recently had a new bathroom fixture put into the bath/shower. Our water pressure in there has increased 10 fold. When I turn the hot on full blast, rusty/dirty water comes out. Small whitish/blue pieces of sediment (I think) are coming out. Is this bad?

Dirty cat [ 2 Answers ]

I very recently took in a 6 year-old cat from someone moving out of the country. As the old owner left the cat, they gave an offhand warning that the cat wasn't good about cleaning his rear after pooping (this is a tailess cat which I've been told makes a difference). Hah! This cat uses the...

View more questions Search