Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kremden Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 11:59 AM
    200 AMP Electrical Service Feed Wire Size/Type
    Good Morning,

I live in the Chula Vista, CA area. (San Diego). I built a granny flat. I have a 400AMP underground service from the street to a 2 meter base on my existing home. 200 AMPS for the front house on one meter, and 200 AMPS for the rear house on another meter. There are two, 200AMP breakers on the meter base box to feed the panels to each home.

The panel for the second home is located 121 feet from the meter base and is connected with two inch PVC electrical conduit underground. This should give you enough information to answer the question, which is:

What type and size of wire do I need to connect the meter base to the breaker panel in the second/rear home? I have reviewed several similar questions and there does not seem to be a definitive answer. I'm hoping I can use aluminum, because I priced the cost of 3/0 copper and almost fell over ! I did note when the power company connected their lines to the meter base, they used aluminum wire.

Thank you very much.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Feb 9, 2008, 06:27 PM
    You can use 4/0 (hot) 4/0 (hot) 2/0 (Neutral) Aluminum USE-2/RHH/RHW-2.
    You will also be required to run a #6 bare copper conductor in the same conduit per 2008 NEC. Yet, if your jurisdiction is not enforcing the 2008, I would run it any way. I'm not going to get into the requirements on should I or shouldn't I run an EGC. It's best to just run one!

Note: Some jurisdictions require you to run four conductors to remote structures requiring power, and some do not. It is best to check with your authority having jurisdiction on this requirement. But, if it was me, I would run it!

Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wire size on 200 amp electrical service [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a single phase, 200 amp service on a new summer home that I am building. My question is about wire size for wire running from the meter pan to the breaker panel. I am told that I need 2/0 wire for each phase, but an electrician told me that I can drop down one size (1/0) for the...

200 Amp Electrical Service [ 1 Answers ]

What gauge wiring does the service wire need to be to feed a 200 amp electrical service? Also - aluminum or copper?

Wire Size For 200 Amp Service [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased new mobile home with a 200 amp breaker inside.the distance between the outside pole and inside breaker is about 70 feet.what size,or type,or gauge wire do i need to run. Lost in paradis... :) :confused:

How do I figure out what size wire to use on a 200 amp service. [ 2 Answers ]

My question is... how do I figure out what size wire to use when I know the Amperage of the electrical device. Is there some form of electrical calculation? For example I want to upgrade to a 200 amp panel from a 70 amp panel.

View more questions Search