How to stop my neighbor from harassing me n my children

Asked Aug 9, 2010, 03:26 PM 13 Answers
    My neighbor is allways yelling horrible things at my family. I have called the police on her more than 9 times. All they told me is to file a complaint. Nothing is being done and yes I know to record every time something happens. She is a teacher and for her to have such a dirty mouth in front of my kids is sad. She has called us stupid Mexicans and for us to go back to our country. She bangs on things to get our attention so that she can make sure we hear her racist remarks and se her finger throwing. My kids who are 6 and 7 years old should not be going threw such verbal abuse. And this all started because we put up a 8foot privacy fence. That she didn't agree we should have done bacause it would block her from seeing the cars in this busy street. Really?? Doesn't she have a TV? As a matter a fact, we build this fence 12inch into our property line becase she didn't want her fense that is falling apart to be torn down.

Last edited by Fr_Chuck; Aug 9, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 75,720, Reputation: 7217

#2

Aug 9, 2010, 04:41 PM

I would assume you got a building permit for the fence and followed legal set backs.
    So have you went to the local DA to file a complaint for harassment ?

Have you made a video of her doing this and sent a copy to the school board to show them her character outside work and her obvious racial hatred ?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 61,842, Reputation: 5749
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

#3

Aug 9, 2010, 04:44 PM

I would record her when she starts with the racist remarks, Most areas these days have bias crime statutes and this qualifies. While a normal harassment complaint may not get the police's attention a bias crime might.
    dontknownuthin's Avatar
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,602, Reputation: 668

#4

Aug 9, 2010, 05:57 PM

Frankly, I would move. I've heard too many of these stories and the problem is that she's nuts. She won't change even if you get court orders and police interaction in the situation. If you can move, it would be worth it to live in peace.
    V.Haley's Avatar
    V.Haley Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

#5

Aug 9, 2010, 10:01 PM

Yes my home is now for sale. And yes I got permits to everything that needed it. But recording her is going to be hard. She stops when she sees me recording and goes back inside her home. But in the mean time till I sell my home. We have to endure this punishment. Thank you for trying to help me.
    dontknownuthin's Avatar

#6

Aug 12, 2010, 07:24 PM

My aunt and uncle have really crazy people living next door to them who have been reported by nearly everyone in the neighborhood for years for everything from public drunkenness to putting obscene signs in their own windows to building code violations and vandalism, terrorist threats and on and on. They get arrested, go to jail, post bond and come out more pissed than ever and do more crazy nonsense. Some people are just insane and moving is unfortunately all you can do.
    Jake2008's Avatar
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,241, Reputation: 3296
    Emotional Health Expert

#7

Aug 12, 2010, 08:12 PM

This doesn't sound right to me.

She is mean and mouthy to you and your children, yet she's not overjoyed with a big privacy fence?

This all started as you said, over this fence?

What was life like before the fence. How can the fence cause all of this.

If you have 9 police reports, and there has been no resolve, I'm not so sure these reports were thought to be worthy of further investigation and/or harassment charges by the police.

You say the police have done nothing, and I have to wonder why.

You paint yourself and your children as innocent victims here, and that can't be entirely true in my opinion.

Has your neighbour also called police and/or filed complaints about you and yours?

Are you saying she is out to get you because you are Mexican? What have you retaliated with if you are both within earshot of each other.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Just my opinon.
    V.Haley's Avatar
    V.Haley Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

#8

Aug 16, 2010, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    This doesn't sound right to me.

If you have 9 police reports, and there has been no resolve, I'm not so sure these reports were thought to be worthy of further investigation and/or harrassment charges by the police.

Are you saying she is out to get you because you are Mexican? What have you retaliated with if you are both within earshot of eachother.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Just my opinon.
    I understand how this could be hard for you. But you don't live next to her. And of course your children are not exposed to her verbal insults. And really for you to say that we paint ourselves to be innocent victims. Wow my heart goes out to you.
    Jake2008's Avatar
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,241, Reputation: 3296
    Emotional Health Expert

#9

Aug 16, 2010, 02:19 PM
    So, can you answer ANY questions? How about what happened to the NINE police reports you filed against her? Surely you must have a restraining order of some kind after going to all that involvement with the police?

Surely you don't expect me to buy this. There are always two sides to every story. With just the NINE police reports you've filed- you have backed up your allegations of being a victim here with filing haven't you?- you cannot possibly be totally helpless here.

I should think that the extreme measures you had to go through to protect your children against her, I don't understand why the NINE police reports didn't result in at least a restraining order? Or charges?

So, you're moving, which is a good thing. I guess that will solve your problem. Try not to stir the pot until you move, unless of course, you find yourself being harassed - again - and need to file a 10th police report.
    dontknownuthin's Avatar

#10

Aug 19, 2010, 07:55 PM

Jake I agree there are often two sides to every story but I think there are also a lot of instances when people just have crazy neighbors. We have some people in our neighborhood who's dogs go after people in the street all the time and if we mention we're afraid of the dogs, they claim we hate dogs (we all HAVE dogs of our own - don't hate them but theirs are scarey). I've known of other situations, too. When I was a kid, our neighbor was a raging alcoholic who would imagine slights against him and his home and make threats to neighbors - a lot of people have these unfortunate situations.

I can say though that reading the original post and seeing about the 8 foot fence, I thought, really? 8 feet? That's pretty extreme. I would hate if my neighbors put up an 8 foot fence and made my backyard feel like a hole. I wouldn't take it so far as launching a war over it, but I'd hate it.

How to stop a neighbor from harassing my family [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all, Forgive me , first time using the site I have an Issue with a neighbor harassing me and my family, we live in a townhouse/condo and we share a porch which is considered a common area unfortunately Well this neighbor and his friends and family all hangout there smoking and...

What to do about a harassing neighbor [ 1 Answers ]

Can I take them to court and sue for harassment

What can I do to stop my neighbor from harassing us? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I am a new member and I hope someone can help me with my problem! I live in the South Bay, part of Los Angeles County. I have a "neighbor" (and I use that term loosely) who has been harassing us every since we moved in 3 years ago. She has turned it into a battle over...

I have a neighbor that is harassing me [ 7 Answers ]

I have neighbor who is harassing me about my dogs. He really trying to distract his wife from the fact that he is having an affair with the women on th other side of him. So he daily tells his wife took keep an eye on me because of the dogs. He has lied to police on a number of occasions and I...