Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cat_Geo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 12:14 PM
    OLD 220v Aluminum Wire Colors and meanings
    Hi I am rewireing an outlet for my stove. 220v 30 amp service.
    I would like to know what the colors mean.
    Four wires:

1 black
    1 red
    1 blue?
    1 twisted bare aluminium

This wire is to code in my area, (Anchorage AK) I just do not know the hots and the extra ground to connect the outlet.
    Thank you
    Catherine
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 01:33 PM
    The blue is an odd color. The black and red should be both hot, measuring 240 volts across them. The blue maybe a neutral, measuring 120 volts to both the red and black separately. The bare must be the equipment ground, again measuring 120 volts from both the black and red.

AK should be following the NFPA National Electric Code, which does not allow any color other than white to be neutral.

Perhaps these colors are used in Canada, and due to being so close the cable with blue was used as neutral.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay light - aluminum wire? [ 1 Answers ]

My Hampton Bay light fixture (sku 141531) has one white and one black wire (stranded 18AWG) which are a silver color. I tried scratching to see if copper is under some coating, and cut a piece off the end to see if the end showed copper, both with no copper showing. Is there a way to confirm if the...

Connecting large gauge aluminum wire to service panel [ 2 Answers ]

I've completed a beautifully (inspector approved) installation of a new 200 amp service panel to my home (upgraded from 100 amp). I have now strung a 0/0 underground aluminum cable in sched. 80 conduit from my barn to the main panel to connect a sub-panel in my barn to this new 200 amp panel. ...

Junction box for #2 aluminum wire [ 3 Answers ]

I need to join a new 100A feed on #2 aluminum wire to an existing #2 wire running from the panel. So this is actually #2 alum triplex in both cases plus a #8 bare copper ground. The junction will take place in an access panel in the wall where the two PVC conduits meet. What size junction box do...

Meanings of baseboard wiring colors [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how to hook up a three wire baseboard heating system to a thermostat the colors are white, green, and red. When I touch the white and red together the heater turns on and when I touch the green and white the heater turns off. I just recently bought a new programmable thermostat and...

Thermostat wire colors [ 3 Answers ]

I just removed my old mechanical thermostat. The wire colors were: W = white G = green R = ref Y = yellow O = Orange The rth230b has: W, Y, Rc, Rh, and G. I initially installed the Red in Rc, Y, W, and G. I did nothing with the O wire. When I turned the system on the thermostat started...

View more questions Search