Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdotsr1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 02:44 AM
    Considerable A/C Repairs requiring a DIY budget
    I have a Rheem split central air system. I was working downtown and my wife called complaining of a bad odor and a buzzing noise coming from the room where the inside part of the A/C system is located. When I got home I found that the blower motor in the inside unit was seized up and I assume had been that way for a while just buzzing away (I assume my electric bill will equal the national debt). I took apart the unit to investigate and was able to get the motor to run for a short period by spinning the squirrel cage. But the motor would stop and buzz shortly afterward. The evaporator coil was turning to a block of ice in 7 minutes, I assume, because the fan was not drawing enough air across the coil. It did not matter if I had the sheet metal panel reattached or not. Also, on the outside unit, a few days earlier, the thermostat would trip the blower to come on but the outside unit would not, but you could hear a clicking noise. Again, I took it apart to investigate and found that the relay was what was clicking. If I manually depressed the relay, the outside unit would turn on. Sometimes until I let go, other times it would stay running, I assume because of the thermostat setting. So, under these circumstances, can I assume that I need to replace the blower motor inside, replace the relay on the outside, and possibly replace the thermostat? If so, is this doable DIY and can you ballpark a cost associated with the repairs? Also, it appears that there is either soot from the cooked blower motor or black mold on the inside of the inside unit. What insulation need to be used to replace the stuff that's there?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 05:36 AM
    can I assume that I need to replace the blower motor inside

Sounds like it unless the blower motor capacitor is defective but too much damage might have already happened to the motor. NOTE when you replace the motor also replace the capacitor with the correct one for the new motor.

replace the relay on the outside

That is a possibility but befroe you do make sure you have 24 volts to the relay/contactor. Many times a low voltage problem will cause the relay/contactor to be intermittent.

and possibly replace the thermostat?

Not unless it is proven defective.

If so, is this doable DIY and can you ballpark a cost associated with the
    repairs?

Doable depends upon your skill level and only you know that.

Parts cost different amounts in different parts of the country. Best thing to do is get prices for the parts from where you are going to buy them. Then you will know for sure.

What insulation need to be used to replace the stuff that's there

Just about any insulation will work but the problem you will have is finding it thin enough with a aluminum cover. For this you might have to visit a company that manufactures duct work or sells HVAC supplies. You might find a company that will just sell you whet you need otherwise you will be buying a 150.00 roll. BYW it is usually glued on. Good 3M spray glue will work.
    jdotsr1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 10:53 AM

Good Day HVAC1000, Replaced the blower motor and that part seems to be working. Not such success on the outside. Replaced the push switch relay and the problem persists. You mentioned the 24 volts that I assume energizes the coil. What is the source of that 24 volts and how do I get the source to produce the proper voltage? Is there a schematic that I can follow?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Is the contactor coil getting 24 volts?
    24 volts originates from the unit inside but the 24 volts is controlled by the thermostat for the outside A/C unit. Might be a diagram on the blower door on the inside unit.

Yellow from the thermostat activates the outside unit. The low voltage tie strip will be located in the inside unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease provided repairs vs. Design/decorative repairs? [ 2 Answers ]

Since buying our home we have painted various rooms, replaced old doors with new nice wooden ones and changed out the old closet doors also for new ones. We have re-done the trim work (baseboards and door/window frames) in these areas too. The rest of the home is in good condition, but not newly...

Requiring judgement [ 2 Answers ]

Last year there was a judgement granted against me for a credit card debt, I made arrangements to make payments with the lawyer handeling the judgement. I was making monthly pmts when they garnished my bank accts (I understand they can do that) they were able to get 5000.00 of the 8000.00...

Landlord requiring cable in Indiana [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received a notice from my landlord saying that cable television would be installed in all apartments and tenants would be required to pay $31/month for the service. I don't have cable right now, and I don't want it. Can my landlord force me to pay for it?

View more questions Search