Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pianotek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 11:16 AM
    No trap in basement shower. Ugh!
    I discovered the source of sewer gas in an older home... there is no trap in the basement shower. There is also a pipe from the clothes washer that runs into this drain near the top, just under the bottom of the shower. It looks like the pipe drops about 12" into a tee under the floor. I'm guessing this is a 2" pipe. The bottom of the shower is about 4" above the basement floor. It looks like everything is concrete with no access. I'm planning on replacing the old home-made concrete/tiled shower, but is there anything I can do NOW to solve the gas problem?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Plug off the shower until you can install a trap. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Trap [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved into a new house. While crawling through the crawl space on an unrelated issue I noticed that one of the drain lines was leaking. Further inspection showed that the shower in the master bath does not have a trap. Instead the pipe drops about 24 inches straight down (very noisy...

Installing a shower trap in the basement [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first post. When I purchase my house a full bath was roughed into the basement. I am in the process of installing a shower base in my basement. The builder roughed in the shower as follows - 6 inch PVC pipe straight into the concete

Shower P-trap question [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Should the 2 pieces of the shower p trap be in the same plan ? In order to align the p trap with the 2" drain pipe I will need a 135 angle between them. I'd like if possible to avoid one of those short 90 ABS ells. Thanks, Frank

1930s basement floor drain w/out trap? [ 5 Answers ]

Have any of you ever seen a floor drain that doesn't have a trap in it? In our house half the basement is finished and the other half unfinished, both have floor drains in lowest part of the room. The one in the unfinished part always worked, albeit slowly, but recently stopped and when snaked...

Shower trap [ 4 Answers ]

I read that a dap out (14" x 14" opening) in the foundation slab Is used to access the tub trap. Is a dap out area also used For the shower trap ? Thanks, Lee

View more questions Search