Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mimi864 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Mixing dyes specially for relaxed hair
    I apologize if this topic is already but I'm just paniced because I need to change the colour of my hair I'm really fed up ,I've been relaxing my hair since six months any how I also couloring my hair from 3 years any how when I did relaxed my hair I was told to dye my hair with ammonia free dye like revelon permanent colour any how I've dark brown hair old dyed and it's almost black so I used revelon number 40 which is medium brown my hair gone like tint of reddish brown I know that because my pigments colours in which I have to bleach my hair first in order to have the medium brown I want but I don't want to that know and I don't want to exactly the colur in the box all I want is to lighten my hair a little so I was told to use revelon hair colour light ash brown specially ash one to take the red tint is that right beside can I mix number 40 with number 50 just to have a medium colour did you get my point because when I visited the faqs at revelon site it said no need to mix colours because colors are exactly as box I can't deny that revelo is great but what you think is it wrong to mix hair colurs specially of revelon or what I'm waiting for your reply
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2009, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi864 View Post
    I apologize if this topic has already been asked. I'm panicked because I need to change the colour of my hair. I'm really fed up. I've been relaxing my hair for six months. I've also been colouring my hair for 3 years. When I got my hair relaxed, I was told to dye my hair with ammonia-free dye like Revlon permanent colour. I have dark brown hair old dyed and it's almost black. I used Revlon number 40 which is medium brown. My hair went to a tint of reddish brown. I know that because my pigments colours in which I have to bleach my hair first in order to have the medium brown I want but i don't want that. I don't want exactly the colour on the box. All I want is to lighten my hair a little. I was told to use Revlon hair colour light ash brown specially ash one to take the red tint is that right beside can I mix number 40 with number 50 just to have a medium colour. Did you get my point because when I visited the faqs at the Revlon site, it said there was no need to mix colours because colors are exactly as the box describes. I can't deny that revelon is great but what you think. Is it wrong to mix hair colours especially of Revlon, or what?
    1. You can mix colors all you want. There's no problem with that. The Revlon site was probably telling you that there's probably not any great advantage in doing that. Always mix colors from the same color brand and line. Don't mix, for example Clairol with L'Oreal. Another example: don't mix L'Oreal Preference with L'Oreal Excellence.

2. Ammonia-free colors might be slightly more gentle than ammonia-containing colors, but the difference is very small and mostly it's hype. Just because they don't have ammonia doesn't mean they're gentle. The formulators replace ammonia with an amine. The purpose of the ammonia or the amine is to act as a chemical base. Amines are not more gentle than ammonia.

3. I'm not sure what to recommend you use. When you lighten dark hair, it turns red. Period. The pigment in the dye has to overcome the red. "ASH" in the shade name usually implies that it will counteract more red. I'd suggest a lighter ash brown. The problem is that you may have to use ColorFix or Color Oops to remove the pigment in the hair because you can't lighten hair that's already colored with artificial dyes without removing the artificial dye first.

4. I don't recommend that people both relax and lighten their hair. It's too hard on the hair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair dyes [ 1 Answers ]

I used a hair color by clairol and my hair is a dirty blonde with red pigments in it and the new color that was put on turned out orange looking what can I do? Please help me, What should I do? Thank-you, June,

Allergic to hair dyes [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to dye my grey beard back to black, but I have a bad reaction to the dyes sold in stores.(burning, redness) thanks for the help I am using a dye specifically for face and beard

Semi-permanent hair dyes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm getting blue highlights today and I only found the Semi-permanent hair dyes. Since it washes out between 6-12 hair dyes, and the bottle is quite big, will it damage my hair really badly if I dye it over and over again? Please reply soon! :)

Allergy to all hair dyes [ 4 Answers ]

I am terribly allergic to all types of hair dyes including henna. Is there anything that I could use that is hypo allergenic Bunny

Hair Dyes [ 3 Answers ]

I just dyed my hair today, with LorealCreme... I have used it in the past , my hair was quite light brown with some grays. I used a medium brown, well it came out pretty dark dark brown, almost black to me, how do I lighten this.:confused:

View more questions Search