Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    milkacando Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 07:32 AM
    What foods can I eat now that I have acid reflux
    I just learned that I have GERD and I need to know what I can eat.
    DrLang Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Aug 27, 2008, 07:06 PM
    It might be as simple as cutting out certain things you were eating before. Can you give me some insight into your normal diet? Often times acid reflux is caused by excessive intake of various things that are not so good for us, and can be cured by simply cutting those things out or significantly reducing them.
    marty64 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 07:36 PM
    I've been given huge lists of things I should avoid. I have also seen articles on the web that say those lists are useless. I've also seen articles that say (and this seems to make sense) that different people are affected by different things. My own suggestion, if you can bring yourself to do it, is to keep a diary of what you eat and when you experience reflux, and see if you can find any consistent associations. I say consistent, because you might have reflux after eating peperoni pizza and not have it the next time you eat peperoni pizza. Good luck.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Cut out greasy foods and probably all or most of the foods on the lists you have been given. Take digestive enzymes and probiotics with each meal too.
    milkacando Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 06:56 AM
    I was given the list of foods I can't eat and drink. I cut out the fried foods and I'm down to one cup of coffee a day. I find that I only eat sandwichs for lunch as I'm not a big salad person. I was looking for a list of food I can eat. Can anyone help me with that?
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 03:39 PM
    This dr is the best when it comes to acid reflux. He does a maneuver that 'fixes' a flap or something and it stops it in 97% of the people. He would know what to eat.
    indexdrjameswiner.com
    DrLang Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Aug 29, 2008, 09:11 PM
    You can eat anything that isn't on that list. Without seeing what is on the list, I can't really offer any suggestions. Most all vegetables, legumes, and grain are good to go. I recommend hummus for snacks.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 11:09 PM
    Your doctor can give you a well balanced diet, and if you use moderation, and have regular, and consistent meal times, you should have a very wide variety of choices. I stop eating after 6pm, and haven't had a problem since. Its rough at midnight though, but I'm use to not eating at night, nor do I eat until full. My advice is follow the instruction of your doctor.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 30, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Heck, I eat EVERYTHING as long as I take my Nexium daily.
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2008, 10:03 AM
    My mom took her Nexium daily and still has a bad problem with it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 30, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Ah, I must be the lucky one. My GERD is so bad that when I eat, the food never goes down and it comes right back up... hopefully I make it to the bathroom in time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acid Reflux. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I am new to this site but I have a few questions... Ok so it just about health in general because I was just diagnosed with acid reflux and my chest is very uncomfortable. It burns or is tight and I also feel like I have to blow my nose every five minutes. It is constantly running. I have had...

Acid reflux or thyriod? [ 3 Answers ]

The week of may 30th I started having problems with my neck it felt like I had a not in it and the air that I breath in was hot and thick I kept feeling like I was nervice and I wanted to get sick shaking and wanting to cry all the time . I was having problems sleeping to where it felt like I...

Pain medication and acid reflux [ 4 Answers ]

I've had some stomach problems in the past months. One time my stomach burned for like a whole week straight. Until I finally went to the doctor and they gave me some medication for acid. It went away in a couple days. Then I thought it was gone for good, until a couple months later it started...

Infant gas (acid reflux?) [ 11 Answers ]

My 2 month old son seems to throw up a lot. When he throws up most times the formula looks lumpy almost like it is going sour in his stomach. I also notice that when he is laying down he swallows a lot. He also passes gas constantly. I bought some Infacol for gassy babies but it didn't seem to...

Avoiding acid reflux [ 1 Answers ]

If I have taken medication, how long should I wait before lying down? I ask this in order to avoid damaging my esophageal sphincter. I guess that the same question also applies to after eating food.

View more questions Search