Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xEoMxMoAxx Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Becoming a Vegetarian
    I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian and I have been eating meat for all of my life until now . If I stop eating meat all of the sudden will I get sick or something and are than any tips or special guidelines to follow while being a vegetarian?
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 11:53 AM
    The best advice I can give is this, (there are a few different types of vegetarians,) but the basics are:
    Build meals around proteins that are low in fat, like beans, lentils and brownrice. Don't add high fat cheese to replace meat. Calcium fortified soy based beverages can provide calcium in amount as milk. Try eat pasta primavera or pasta with marinara or pesto sauce, a veggie pizza, veggie lasanga, tofu veggie stir fry, veggie kabobs, bean burritos or tacos. For breaksfast try soy based sausage patties or links, try veggie burgers, their made with soy beans, veggies or rice. Add meat subs, to soups or stew to up the protein without adding cholestrol or fats, tryy tempeh, tofu or wheat gluten products, try veggie bugers, soy hot dogs, and even take burgers. Make bean burgers, lentil burgers, or pita halves with falafel (spicy ground chick pea patties), Vegetarians can meet all nutritional needs with the right variety of foods, nutrients that vegetarians may need included iron, protein, calcium, zinc and vitamin B 12. Sources of Protein are iron fortified cereals, spinach, kidney beans, black eyed peas, lentils, turnips, molasses, whole wheat breads, peas and dried fruit.
    For calcium eat, soy products, OJ, dark green leafy veggies, and milk products, For Zinc, white beans, kidney beans, and chick peas, wheat germ, pumpkin seeds, For vitamin B 12 milk products, eggs, and fortified foods, soy based beverages, and veggies burgers and nutritional yeast. That's at least a goodstart for you to consider
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 11:58 AM
    I would suggest that you have to become an expert in nutrition so that you don't do harm to yourself by eating innappropriately.

First of all, you need an outline of a daily menu to follow relilgiously. You need to know how many grams of protein you need a day and where to get that protein(milk, beans, eggs, etc), how many fruits and vegetables, how much cereal grains, how much calcium, and so on.

Good luck, vegetarianism is the was to go if done correctly!
    iluvcatsalot Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2010, 12:51 PM

Just eat tofu, and protein.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vegetarian weight loss [ 3 Answers ]

I need some advice on weight loss with a vegetarian diet. I would like to live on 1300 calories a day on a low fat vegetarian diet. Most of the web sites I have found have very unhealthy low calorie diets. More so if it is a vegetarian diet. A lot of instant pre-packaged food. I have little...

Going back to vegetarian [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all I was vege last year, but took no suppliments for the loss of proteins etc that I was not getting from meat, but after a year of losing weight, for which I thought was normal, I was taken to hospital in an ambulance after fainting. This was a worry to me, and I was told that due to my...

Is wine vegetarian? [ 3 Answers ]

Is wine vegetarian? I've never thought about it before but someone asked me today and now it's bugging me not knowing... :confused:

Vegetarian [ 10 Answers ]

My problem is I'm a vegetarian. I want to be, and I am. Too bad my parents won't accept that. I don't eat meat. And I have absoutley no problem when other people do. I just don't like it. I've only reciently confronted my parents about my non meat eating choices. And they've gone balistic. My...

View more questions Search