Do you read nutrition labels? Would you read them if they were 1-5 stars?

Asked Oct 24, 2011, 12:14 PM 6 Answers
    A study released today proved what most of us probably already know - a lot of us don't look at the nutrition labels on the food we buy very closely. Do you?

What do you look for?

Would you be interested in a new label which was made up of a 1 to 5 star system rating the health of the food you were buying?

Do you think if this 5 star system resulted in lower sales of unhealthy items, would companies finally move to more wholesome, healthy ingredients?

Note: This is from today's blog post about a new study revealing consumer's lack of attention to nutrition labels.

Last edited by CliffARobinson; Oct 24, 2011 at 02:35 PM.
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054

#2

Oct 25, 2011, 02:04 PM
    I look for anything "soy" in the labeling and try to avoid that like the plague as it is nothing more than animal feed that puts pounds on cattle (and humans) waiting for slaughter. It also causes GI problems and puts on pounds that a person can't easily take off. I also look for anything with extremely high carb levels and stuff with canola oil (grape seed oil) that is essentially bad for you as well (causes GI problems).

The 5 star rating would not work as what some people think as healthy (like soy and canola oil/products) are bad for you to consume yet ironircally they are supposedly "good, healthy foods"... go figure.
    DaniCalifornia's Avatar
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 151
    Senior Member

#3

Nov 4, 2011, 12:06 PM
    I never read labels. But I think if I were overweight or told by a doctor I need to make some changes, I would start to.

I seem to be doing all right with what I pick up at the shops so far!

X Dani
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,694, Reputation: 855

#4

Nov 4, 2011, 12:28 PM
    A "star rating" of labels would only make them less clear than they are now.

A study of 200 people is hardly "proof" of what people, in general, do or think.

I'd far rather better education about what each line on the label means, rather than trust the judgment of someone else who would give a summary of those ingredients as a "star rating".
    Curlyben's Avatar
    Curlyben Posts: 16,899, Reputation: 1760
    Admin & Wine Expert

#5

Nov 4, 2011, 01:02 PM
    The UK have been using a Traffic light colour coding design for a while now.
    Makes things easy to read.
    There's some different designs, but all along the same idea.

Food labelling - Live Well - NHS Choices
    hopeamal's Avatar
    hopeamal Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

#6

Nov 14, 2011, 05:23 AM
    Yeah, I read labels.. I avoid ingredients that contain eggs because it cause allergic to me and I avoid also high sugar.
    NeedKarma's Avatar
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,378, Reputation: 1667

#7

Nov 14, 2011, 05:29 AM
    I read the labels sometimes, in fact my kids read them more than I do and they warn us of the bad stuff (OMG, look at all the salt!) and the good stuff (hey this has lot of vitamin A). I say keep them as they are.

To lower my cholesterol, what do I have to look out for on nutrition labels [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, found out my cholesterol is way to high. I want to try Frozen dinners, so I don't have to cook.. lol. Any Idea which frozen dinner is a good one to lower my cholesterol? I know I have to eat a low-fat diet but what else do I have to look out for? Is Sodium intake a problem, does it have to be...

Cannot read CD, but I can read other CDs [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to load a version4 of Scrapbook Factory without success. The drive starts but then nothing. I am able to read other CDs and also a previous version of Scrapbook Factory. I am baffled.

DVDWriter Read DVD Don't Read CD [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have LG DVD Writer it was reading all kinds of CD & DVD's but now it reads all DVD's but don't read except a few number of CD's. My DVD writer writes successfully CD's & DVD's What is the solution for not reading the CD's. Thanks